Everything in connection with developing aircraft for FlightGear
bomber

Re: Avatar Scorpion

Postby bomber » Sat May 23, 2020 12:52 pm

hahahahahha
"If anyone ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me - it's all balls" - R J Mitchell

IAHM-COL

Postby IAHM-COL » Sat May 23, 2020 1:12 pm

bomber wrote:With regards the mods for the error messages.... if you modify the instrument file, won't that effect the standard FGUK AH-1 ?

What's expected here is that the scorpio can't find such object, neither can the AH-1. Literally the object named there are missing from the ac. So its accurately a fix for both models (in the sense of silencing the err).

A better fix would be identifying the correct object name and fix that.

bomber wrote:If you turn the turbines off inflight (s key), you have 2 minutes if ultracapacitor flight...that's also fun

You quite funny. I don't have stomach to digest that

bomber wrote:If you get to where you want to land, get roughly to a stable position and press the m key... in hover mode you can land on a pin head if you want...good for landing on buildings or ships

gonna try that out.

bomber wrote:If anyone wants to add candyfloss to it by animating the rotors, go for it... it's just where do you stop ?.. and for me it wasn't a priority.
I hope it inspires someone to make a 3d model for it..

Im quite tempting to hotstart a blender and add the turbines of the scorpio. Will report.
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/IAHM-COL/gpg-pubkey/master/pubkey.asc

R.M.S.
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it?

bomber

Postby bomber » Sat May 23, 2020 1:24 pm

You quite funny. I don't have stomach to digest that

To explain it the turbines charge up the Ultracapacitor... the 4 electric rotors run off this Ultacapacitor.. Once the turbines stop charging it, there's sufficient energy reserve at 100% full to fly for another 2 minutes.
"If anyone ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me - it's all balls" - R J Mitchell

IAHM-COL

Postby IAHM-COL » Sat May 23, 2020 11:55 pm

@Bomber

I know already I dont have a lot of talent in 3d development

But for the fun of it, while something better comes along (if it comes along)

I made this

https://github.com/FGMEMBERS-NONGPL/AH- ... 77fb2d5c74

And yes, as you can see in the commits the blades do rotate

R.M.S.
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it?

IAHM-COL

Postby IAHM-COL » Sun May 24, 2020 12:46 am

bomber wrote:I would advise however using the hover mode to land.... it's not a cheat... there's no cheats, it's just a simple PID controller, the physics of the flight model remains untouched... it's just taking the work load off the pilot.

This hover mode is either witch-crafty or a cheat

There's no way otherwise I could've done this:

R.M.S.

bomber

Postby bomber » Sun May 24, 2020 7:32 am

Yeh I know what you mean about the hover mode, when I first got it working I thought I'd accidentally paused.

To show it's not a cheat, turn the wind up and put severe turbulence on...

The model looks brilliant, I'm going to download it now

Simon

bomber

Postby bomber » Sun May 24, 2020 8:09 am

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1fWf51 ... 7t9nvGAccM

it would seem you can land on these....
Last edited by bomber on Sun May 24, 2020 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

bomber

Postby bomber » Sun May 24, 2020 8:38 am

The FGUK download link on the FGMember AH-1 fails to work.. should be

http://www.fguk.me/hangar/rotary/summar ... supercobra

I appreciate they can change it at any time, but it takes no time to copy and paste the correct link and always best to not give people the opportunity to make negative comments

Simon

bomber

Postby bomber » Sun May 24, 2020 8:49 am

You might want to change the rotor animation to this, so as they're linked to the motors and not the turbines

Code: Select all

<animation>
  <type>spin</type>
  <object-name>helixL</object-name>
  <property>/fdm/jsbsim/propulsion/engine[2]/propeller-rpm</property>
  <factor>-1</factor>
  <axis>   
   <x1-m>-2.75938</x1-m>
   <y1-m>0.41190</y1-m>
   <z1-m>1.92119</z1-m>
   <x2-m>-2.93957</x2-m>
   <y2-m>0.42226</y2-m>
   <z2-m>1.50897</z2-m>
  </axis>
</animation>

<animation>
  <type>spin</type>
  <object-name>helixR</object-name>
  <property>/fdm/jsbsim/propulsion/engine[4]/propeller-rpm</property>
  <factor>1</factor>
  <axis>   
   <x1-m>2.91140</x1-m>
   <y1-m>0.23429</y1-m>
   <z1-m>1.85149</z1-m>
   <x2-m>3.10399</x2-m>
   <y2-m>0.23951</y2-m>
   <z2-m>1.45029</z2-m>
  </axis>
</animation>

bomber

Postby bomber » Sun May 24, 2020 10:47 am

Also forgot to mention the rotor file on the download throws up an error.... that might be intentional, I don't know.... I was thinking that a readme file explaining the rotor issues and solutions might be a good thing to have in the engines folder.

And whilst talking about it,..... could someone not banned over on Flightgear forum bring the propeller rotor power table problem to the core devs attention..... you don't have to advertise the Scorpion (although would be nice, to get a larger audience) but I think for normal propeller planes it's important.

Return to “Aircraft Development”