Air Asia

Talk about flying in real life
HJ1an

Re: Air Asia

Postby HJ1an » Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:34 am

legoboyvdlp wrote:Ah yes, rudder failure is fully recoverable?

And that is what is so perplexing about it. It is reasonable to believe the pilots are not dumb, after all, they got jobs commanding and controlling jet in the first place. Certainly I do not want to be put in a situation where something went wrong while I am controlling it and making me look really bad at it when there is more to it.
Last edited by HJ1an on Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:36 am, edited 2 times in total.

legoboyvdlp

Postby legoboyvdlp » Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:35 am

Well, I am planning on becoming an Airbus pilot, and wkll be trusting my life to that rudder :)
Lets say this: I have confidence that it will get me there safely.
Wih the thousands of Airbuses flying daily, and the....
Okay,
GermanWings -- pilot
Air France - icing, pilot training error. I hope I know better than to pull back on the stick and ignore STALL
AirAsia - mechanical failure, pilot training error
Russian - bomb
BAW cowl doors issue(s) : lax maintenance
AirInter: no GPWS, infamiliar with Airbus
1549 - HONK HONK QUACK SQUAWK + ENGINE = BAD IDEA
XL888T:

In September 2010, the BEA published its final report into the accident. One of the contributing causes was incorrect maintenance procedures which allowed water to enter the angle of attack (AOA) sensors. The water then froze in flight, rendering the sensors inoperative and thus removing the protection they provided from the aircraft's flight management system. The primary cause of the accident was that when the crew attempted an improvised test of the AOA warning system (which was not functioning due to the blocked sensors) they lost control of the aircraft. The aircraft's computers received conflicting information, and completely disconnected. This led to all automation built into the aircraft's systems to deactivate. Since the pilots were likely relying on the computer to optimize the aircraft to climb, and it didn't, the crew was unable to recover from the dive.[15] The crew was unaware that the AOA sensors were blocked, but they also disregarded the proper speed limits for the tests they were performing, resulting in a stall. Five safety recommendations were made.[16] -- mostly human error, partly design flaw. But it should not have got into DIRECT LAW at any time...

the aircraft, while on autopilot, lowered the nose into a descent reaching 4000 fpm. The uncommanded pitch-down was caused by two angle of attack sensors that were jammed in their positions, causing the fly by wire protection to believe the aircraft entered a stall while it climbed through FL310. The Alpha Protection activated, forcing the aircraft to pitch down, which could not be corrected even by full stick input. The crew disconnected the related Air Data Units and were able to recover the aircraft.

Through 2013, the Airbus A320 family has experienced 0.14 fatal hull-loss accidents for every million takeoffs, and 0.24 total hull-loss accidents for every million takeoffs; this is one of the smallest fatality rates of any family of jets included in the study..

Mostly human error, a couple of probe jams.
Not so bad, is it?
~~Legoboyvdlp~~
Maiquetia / Venezuela Custom Scenery
Hallo! Ich bin Jonathan.
Hey!
Avatar created by InSapphoWeTrust CC BY-SA 2.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.p ... d=27409879

legoboyvdlp

Postby legoboyvdlp » Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:35 am

HJ1an wrote:
legoboyvdlp wrote:Ah yes, rudder failure is fully recoverable?

And that is what is so perplexing about it. It is reasonable to believe the pilots are not dumb, after all, they got jobs commanding a controlling jet in the first place.

I said, FULLY.
~~Legoboyvdlp~~
Hallo! Ich bin Jonathan.
Hey!
Avatar created by InSapphoWeTrust CC BY-SA 2.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.p ... d=27409879

KL-666

Postby KL-666 » Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:17 am

Hello Legoboy,

There is no such thing as "pilot error". It is an invention of journalists. And the industry just loves it, so they do not need to change anything as long as the public believes it. But if you read the reports themselves, you get a different picture. What is called "pilot error" in popular magazines, is there "inadequate training". True pilot error happens more seldom than pilot suicide. The many cases of inadequate training show that the industry is not fully healthy.

The aircraft themselves are nothing to worry about. They are of a good quality build. That sometimes something mechanical fails is normal and happens all the time. The planes just continue to fly. You do not want to know how many mechanical failures you have had on all your flights. The rudder issue in this case is also a total non-issue. There have been done several flights with this issue known. Not advisable, but can easily be done.

If you want to become a good pilot, try to get at an airline with thorough training. There are airlines that do not follow the silly advise of the manufacturer that training is an unnecessary cost. Such airlines think for themselves and choose to give some proper flying lessons to their pilots. You can see the result in the ticket price.

Do not take the newspapers for granted, but read the reports themselves. During your whole career they can help you to mentally prepare yourself for unusual situations.

Here the report of this case:
http://knkt.dephub.go.id/knkt/ntsc_aviation/baru/Final%20Report%20PK-AXC%20Rev-1.pdf

Kind regards, Vincent
Last edited by KL-666 on Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

HJ1an

Postby HJ1an » Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:14 pm

Major delays for airasia as pilots 13 pilots down with "flu" and can't fly.

Insiders are saying they are actually on strike and not flying after the reports of QZ 8501 came out....

I'm on the phone now and can't link the news. You can search for it

HJ1an

Postby HJ1an » Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:42 pm

...and it is a quiet day in my town... no roaring airbuses throughout the day when usually I would hear them every half hour or so

Lydiot

Postby Lydiot » Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:39 pm

legoboyvdlp wrote:Mostly human error, a couple of probe jams.
Not so bad, is it?

I absolutely agree with you.

My brain tells me it's safe to fly, relatively speaking. I think that's absolutely true. It's just something that clicks intuitively with people when we're tens of thousands of feet in the air in thin metal shell traveling at hundreds of miles per hour.... it's just emotional. The odds of me getting hit by a car are far higher than dying in a plane crash. Still though.... 747-400's an awesome plane...
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

jwocky
Site Admin

Postby jwocky » Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:24 pm

Lego, can you link the study you quote from?
Free speech can never be achieved by dictatorial measures!

legoboyvdlp

Postby legoboyvdlp » Wed Dec 02, 2015 6:11 pm

Good old Wikipedia.

:)
~~Legoboyvdlp~~
Hallo! Ich bin Jonathan.
Hey!

legoboyvdlp

Postby legoboyvdlp » Wed Dec 02, 2015 6:24 pm

~~Legoboyvdlp~~
Hallo! Ich bin Jonathan.
Hey!

Return to “Real life flying”