Bell UH-1

Everything in connection with developing aircraft for FlightGear
bomber

Re: Bell UH-1

Postby bomber » Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:47 pm

I spent months without any augmented controls on this FDM... the problem is as pilot in a sim you don't have any feeling in your stomach or on the stick which makes it so so difficult and unrealstic.
"If anyone ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me - it's all balls" - R J Mitchell

bell_pilot

Postby bell_pilot » Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:59 pm

Yeah, i know. But the image you see when you take off, hovering, landing or manuever doesnt change at all. I am seeking for this image, not feelings.
Raymond Prouty wrote best scientific books for rotarywing. He had never flown with a chopper. Your excuse is invalid :)
Real Helicopter Pilot 1500+ flight hours
AB206,UH-1H,AH-1W
MSc. Aerospace Engineering

bomber

Postby bomber » Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:05 pm

there's a difference between writing a book and fly a helicopter in a sim....one's in real time.

your logic is wrong
"If anyone ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me - it's all balls" - R J Mitchell

bell_pilot

Postby bell_pilot » Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:12 pm

Maybe, i said it for motivating you.
AB206,UH-1H,AH-1W

bomber

Postby bomber » Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:17 pm

bell_pilot wrote:Hi guys, as i am RL pilot of UH-1H, i would like to share my opinions about this model.
It flies well but trimming with side slip indicator unstabilize helicopter. The ball must be in the mid in trimmed flight but it doesnt. If you give pedal input needed as the indicator show, trim is lost.

Did you check to see if the ball animation was wrong.

bell_pilot wrote:Another situtation is that aerodynamic forces is not acting as it is.
If you give +collective input, the produced torque must be trimmed with anti-torque to stop turning around. For CCW turning rotors, left pedal input is needed and vice versa. Also nose will pitch up so you need to give fwd cyclic input. Those are not occurs in this sim. You pull the collective and it take off. It is not so easy as in this sim.

I made so as the pilot automatically counters the trim, otherwise I thought with a twisty joystick the average 'joe' simply won't be able to fly it

bell_pilot wrote:Also there is a weird situation with the model. I couldnt bank helicopter above ~30°.

There's no data on the shift of centre of pressure with cyclic adjustment, so had to take a guess at this.

bell_pilot wrote:Rpm fluctuates a lot. If you drop rpm below 294 (91%) it is over, you are dead.
In normal flight conditions, governor controls rpm very well with around %1-2 over-under shoot. But this model is not correctly control the rpm.

Brand new spanking turbine and gearbox transmission system based on the twin engined Apache code been added to resolve this.

bell_pilot wrote:Another thing with the rpm is at when autorotating.
When i cutted the engine off and downed collective immediately, i lost my rpm to around %70. I tried with starting fully downed collective, same.
Rpm drops so fast. Actually you have around 2-3 secs to gain your rpm when you lost engine in level flight. Also flairing speeds up the rpm in real but not in the model.

Don't understand this, could do with a bit more explanation as to what to expect rather than what's wrong

bell_pilot wrote:I know, It cant be the perfectly accurate but i have to share my opinions with you.
Thanks for this enormous work.

We can but try

bell_pilot

Postby bell_pilot » Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:56 pm

1- You may be right about faulty animation of the ball. I dont know how to check if it is right or not.
2-You may add "SAS on/off" switch for average and pro "joe"
3-we will see after new update.
4-Perfect
5-Autorotation is not possible with the model.
If you lose engines, you can land with autorotation. First, pilot fully down collective and then try to stay within limits of the rpm by adjusting collective.(If helicopter descend too fast, rpm over-limits. If pilot give more than needed, rpm drops under-limit. )
Around 150-200ft agl left, pilot start flare maneuver, pull back cyclic and fully down collective to get as much as rpm. Rpm rises at flaring time. Around 20 30ft, pilots levels the helicopter and initiate autorotative touch down.
The first kick: Pilot suddenly pull the collective up around %20 margin. This slowdown the helicopter instantly. After slowing down the helo, pilot use all remaining collective and touch down. You may watch more videos with better english on youtube. I guess you already did.
AB206,UH-1H,AH-1W

bomber

Postby bomber » Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:36 am

I can auto rotate this fdm.... However let's see what the new engine transmission system brings

Am I correct in thinking that with engine fail the clutch disconnects instantly or does it still rely on centrefuge ?

With regards 2) I was thinking of doing this for you....

Simon.

bell_pilot

Postby bell_pilot » Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:54 am

bomber wrote:Am I correct in thinking that with engine fail the clutch disconnects instantly or does it still rely on centrefuge ?
Simon.

Yes, you are correct.
AB206,UH-1H,AH-1W

bomber

Postby bomber » Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:14 am

So the auto disconnect is dependent on what turbine property ?

By this I mean what is it that indicates an engine failure, flameout ?
If it's a loss of power, by how much ?

I can simply use the set-running property

bomber

Postby bomber » Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:26 pm

Another question, I'll try and explain but I know it's likely to lead to confussion.

With the stick fully forward the rotor 'flex' 15degs is this correct.... I know there's no hinge but there must be some flex as it does so under it's own weight when stationary

Return to “Aircraft Development”