Bell UH-1

Everything in connection with developing aircraft for FlightGear
bell_pilot

Re: Bell UH-1

Postby bell_pilot » Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:50 pm

The mast is tilted 5 degrees forward.
Maximum flapping angle is 15.55 degrees.
If you did so, you are correct as i understand your intention.
Real Helicopter Pilot 1500+ flight hours
AB206,UH-1H,AH-1W
MSc. Aerospace Engineering

bomber

Postby bomber » Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:55 pm

oh yes !

It feels good when one of your guesses hits target
"If anyone ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me - it's all balls" - R J Mitchell

bell_pilot

Postby bell_pilot » Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:58 pm

bomber wrote:oh yes !

It feels good when one of your guesses hits target

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
AB206,UH-1H,AH-1W

bell_pilot

Postby bell_pilot » Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:37 pm

bell_pilot wrote:Maximum flapping angle is 15.55 degrees.

Correction:
Maximum flapping angle is 12.391 degrees.
Sorry....
AB206,UH-1H,AH-1W

bomber

Postby bomber » Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:42 pm

no problems
"If anyone ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me - it's all balls" - R J Mitchell

bell_pilot

Postby bell_pilot » Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:14 pm

Thesis:

Maximum flapping angle is 12.391 degrees.

This value is the angle if the blade is stiff.
In forward speed, due to the stiffness of the blade, some deflection may occur. Near VNE this deflection angle is at maximum. (No certain info for our models.)
https://apps.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a034459.pdf
I found and browsed over this report. At 140 kts, the experimented blades deflected around 2.3 degrees.
I dont know if yasim calculate the deflection. I dont think so since i havent seen any input about stiffness data in YASim.

Thus, 15 degree is the correct answer.

What do you think?
AB206,UH-1H,AH-1W

bomber

Postby bomber » Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:48 am

ok I'll use 15.55 degs...one thing I have noticed is that I now need to add damping to this as a result of rotation velocity, otherwise it enters into oscillation

bomber

Postby bomber » Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:18 pm

Ok another question..... It's all to do with the tail rotor control.

The main rotor spins up to 325rpm and the tail to 5x this at 1620rpm

Is there some kind of fancy control that adjusts the tail rotor blade angle as the main rotor blade angle is adjusted by the collective ?
ie are they tied in together so as when the main rotor produces more torque the tail rotor produces more counter torque.

So the thing that then occurs is a kind of lag such that the pilot has to adjust slightly the tail rotor blade angle with his peddles whenever there's a change in main rotor collective. But when the collective is held steady and there's no side wind the peddles are at neutral.

????

Simon
Last edited by bomber on Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

bell_pilot

Postby bell_pilot » Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:56 pm

bomber wrote:Is there some kind of fancy control that adjusts the tail rotor blade angle as the main rotor blade angle is adjusted by the collective ?
ie are they tied in together so as when the main rotor produces more torque the tail rotor produces more counter torque.

They are not tied in together. Tail rotor pitch angle is controlled by pedals, to adjust necessary anti-torque. Rpm remains same in normal flight conditions.

bomber wrote:So the thing that then occurs is a kind of lag such that the pilot has to adjust slightly the tail rotor blade angle with his peddles whenever there's a change in main rotor collective.
Simon

Exactly. Left pedal for collective up, right pedal for collective down. (for CCW rotor)

bomber wrote:But when the collective is held steady and there's no side wind the peddles are at neutral.
Simon

Not always. Below trans-lift speeds (below~24kts) left pedal is ahead relatively. Cos' more torque is applied. Why? Rotor inflow degrades its effectiveness by vortexes created on the tip of the rotor.
Above trans-lift speeds(above ~ 24kts) right pedal is ahead relatively. Main rotor effectiveness is enough so less power is needed(less torque applied). So pilots slowy change pedal position from left to the right while take off and passing ~24kts.

For UH-1H, when take off and passing 24kts:
Apply pedal left to right
Apply cyclic fwd and left(left pedal for higher tail rotor moment due to clean-air working state.)

Why fwd cyclic applied while passing trans-lift speed?
Higher effective main rotor blades produce more lift, vortex are gone away now, begins to flapps up. Advancing blade ,on 3 o'clock position, starts to flap up and reaches max flap angle on 12 o'clock position.
AB206,UH-1H,AH-1W

bomber

Postby bomber » Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:27 pm

Do you fly with peddles, or a twisty ?

Return to “Aircraft Development”