The state of the airline industry

Talk about flying in real life
HJ1an

Re: The state of the airline industry

Postby HJ1an » Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:39 am

Btw, just to add, for AirAisa I am aware that the last incident was the Indonesian branch, and Indonesia had always had spotty safety. Still, I now have concerns for both MAS and AA.

Another point: If now you have inadequate training for these airlines - they would affect other airlines as well (ie decreased separation) because no matter how well trained the pilots are, moot if something like the Tenerife or the one over Switzerland..

KL-666

Postby KL-666 » Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:45 am

Good point, cost cuts are an issue of concern. But you have to look at what organization makes the cost cuts. At an AirAsia it would definitely mean even less pilot training. At a serious business like Malaysian it can very well just mean less business overall, not cutting on pilot training.

Oh, and do not put up that picture. That minister did not make a very impressing performance to the world.

Kind regards, Vincent

KL-666

Postby KL-666 » Sun Apr 10, 2016 3:53 am

What the heck is wrong with some good old handwriting. Does typing something make it more secure?

Kind regards, Vincent

HJ1an

Postby HJ1an » Sun Apr 10, 2016 4:04 am

Well, if you read the news, there's no barcode, or any form of security check. Anyone could get a paper and logo write something on it and just go on the plane. Besides that, it's just unprofessional.

KL-666

Postby KL-666 » Sun Apr 10, 2016 1:20 pm

Also the US not free of airlines that train their pilots with auto pilot on. In a survey of less than 20 airlines, the FAA already identified one such airline.

We also identified significant differences regarding the emphasis placed on manual flying in training. For example, one carrier emphasized hand-flying for the First Officer, who typically has less flying time than the Captain. In comparison, another carrier encouraged crews to use full automation during simulator training.

https://www.oig.dot.gov/sites/default/files/FAA%20Flight%20Decek%20Automation_Final%20Report%5E1-7-16.pdf

Be aware that the FAA uses diplomatic words like "encouraged". In daily practice at such airline there is often more persuasion behind it. Pilots of such airlines may say things like: "We have no choice, else we fail the check ride".

Kind regards, Vincent

HJ1an

Postby HJ1an » Mon Apr 11, 2016 1:43 am

KL-666 wrote:At a serious business like Malaysian it can very well just mean less business overall, not cutting on pilot training.

With those morons at the top you'd never know. And the last round of major layoffs, you don't know if the actually competent people stayed. That is the scary part. And situations like this, will only see the effects years later. In fact, I think it has already happened leading up to what happened to them in 2014.

KL-666

Postby KL-666 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 5:56 pm

Here is a film made by the ATSB out of FDR data showing how not to fly. It is a show of idiotically chasing the flight director. Resulting 2 times in a stick shaker.

What you see is an incident with an autopilot going defect. As soon as the "pilot" starts "flying", he pulls up to chase the flight director regardless of decaying airspeed. Even when the stick shaker activates he keeps chasing the flight director up, letting the speed decay even more. Only when the flight director directs him down he goes down and picks up some speed. When it seems he has the the plane stable, he does the same thing all over again.

What goes wrong here? This pilot did not receive a proper training. The only thing he knows is: "chase the flight director". A properly trained pilot knows: "and scan". Watch airspeed, horizon, altitude and vertical speed. The frigging indicators are not for nothing on the same instrument as the flight director. How more easy can one make it.

What could this pilot have seen if he had done what he should have been trained for?
1) decaying airspeed
2) An idiotic high horizon of up to 20 degrees. Impossible to sustain at this altitude!
3) An idiotic high climb rate of more than 6000 ft/min. Impossible to sustain too at this alt!

Yet he saw nothing and just chased the flight director.

Well here we go again with another example of how there are pilots that can not fly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XNnEzFF5fg&nohtml5=False

Btw, this film is originally silent. The poster put cockpit sounds under it.

Kind regards, Vincent

legoboyvdlp

Postby legoboyvdlp » Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:22 am

That is one captain / first officer I don't want at the controls.

I hope you will trust me to fly you in an A320 all over Europe if I join British Airways :)
~~Legoboyvdlp~~
Maiquetia / Venezuela Custom Scenery
Hallo! Ich bin Jonathan.
Hey!
Avatar created by InSapphoWeTrust CC BY-SA 2.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.p ... d=27409879

KL-666

Postby KL-666 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:29 am

At BA and some other airlines, i trust you, even with a bus.

Kind regards, Vincent

Return to “Real life flying”