As the poll for FG Festival Spring Festival 2016 comes close

May 5th and 6th, 2018
IAHM-COL

Re: As the poll for FG Festival Spring Festival 2016 comes close

Postby IAHM-COL » Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:48 pm

reinstated.
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/IAHM-COL/gpg-pubkey/master/pubkey.asc

R.M.S.
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it?

IAHM-COL

Postby IAHM-COL » Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:00 pm

Hi Elgaton

Thanks for the crossposting and your coments.
Just read all of all that.

We agree mostly

Few comments on my side

1. There were not official minigames on Fall 2015, but I did saw min-games like activity.
Namely: a) Lesbof and Ray played WWI aircraft in Basel. Lesbof even gave screenshots of that.
b) Some polyfacetic activity DID happen on LOWI. I actually flew out of LOWI in an heli (3 times). All three times I met the Alps mountains and got nowhere. Early morning Sunday lots of people enjoyed LOWI.
c) Pilots flew around GA airports circa Geneve. That was nice to see.

mini-games can improve in coordination, but they have been minimal, but occurred in three out of three festivals.

2. Airport's choice.

I think it is a matter of coordination. people interested in ATCing (namely you/I/KIWI possibly others) will need to think and talk about what ATC will occur (All the community is welcome to weight in). 1) What airport depends on the area chosen. Not the other way around 2) each of us in bound to serve the airport we choose. I'd hate to see my festival activities being decided for the best of the group. Example, I've chosen in the past LEBL, SAEZ and LSGG. No external force bound me to those places. I naturally was inclined to them. I tell people I will be there, and things start to fall thru. You've chosen LEBL, SAEZ, and LOWW. Likewise, you made the choice by yourself. I do extend invitation to others to think about open opportunities on unserved important airports, but we end up limited by man-power too.

I think let's set the priorities. Until tuesday we listen candidate areas for the poll. On tuesday you open the Curtis' poll, for 15 days. The vote close, JWocky, Skyboat and I meet to talk about the result and then we will cast our three votes. The result is the area. With the area on mind, we reopen the talk about Airports.

What do you think?

3. Europe as a rule?

It hasn't been a rule. In 2015, all the places were pulled together in a massive poll. The two winners were Brazil-Argentina/ Switzerland-Austria. We then decided to leave the European series for Fall. We can do the same this time.
I wouldn't mind.
So instead of pulling 2 polls, one for Fall and one for Spring, we put one big poll. Only 1 vote allowed per person. The winner and the runner up are both areas, and then we choose the best fall, and the best spring based on the results. That's kinda how we played on 2015 -- and I think it was a nice way to be unbiased.

What do you think?

R.M.S.
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it?

IAHM-COL

Postby IAHM-COL » Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:02 pm

oh and I forgot the most important note

Maximum inclussion: everyone's invited
I'd encourage people to run the voice. Even around SFO pilots. Mini games are excellent space to meet new fellows.

R.M.S.

elgaton

Postby elgaton » Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:24 pm

IAHM-COL wrote:1. There were not official minigames on Fall 2015, but I did saw min-games like activity.
Namely: a) Lesbof and Ray played WWI aircraft in Basel. Lesbof even gave screenshots of that.
b) Some polyfacetic activity DID happen on LOWI. I actually flew out of LOWI in an heli (3 times). All three times I met the Alps mountains and got nowhere. Early morning Sunday lots of people enjoyed LOWI.
c) Pilots flew around GA airports circa Geneve. That was nice to see.

I didn't know about them as I wasn't able to see those aircraft (they were outside my radar range).

IAHM-COL wrote:2. Airport's choice.

I think it is a matter of coordination. people interested in ATCing (namely you/I/KIWI possibly others) will need to think and talk about what ATC will occur (All the community is welcome to weight in). 1) What airport depends on the area chosen. Not the other way around 2) each of us in bound to serve the airport we choose. I'd hate to see my festival activities being decided for the best of the group. Example, I've chosen in the past LEBL, SAEZ and LSGG. No external force bound me to those places. I naturally was inclined to them. I tell people I will be there, and things start to fall thru. You've chosen LEBL, SAEZ, and LOWW. Likewise, you made the choice by yourself. I do extend invitation to others to think about open opportunities on unserved important airports, but we end up limited by man-power too.

Of course - apologies if I wasn't sufficiently clear. What I wanted to say was that we should, as you stated, choose the area and not the airport, but using the presence of "good" fields (see my previous post) as one of the selection criteria (besides landscape/charts availability etc.). Once the area is chosen, we'll be able to propose and discuss possible airport choices, weighing pros and cons, but the final decision/commitment will be only taken by the participating controller. (For example: if Italy is a possible choice, nobody will be "forced" to control LIMC or LIRF - though at least one of them would be probably manned; on the contrary, if - again, as an example - Antarctica is included in the poll, I wouldn't vote it as there isn't a sufficient number of "good" airfields).

IAHM-COL wrote:I think let's set the priorities. Until tuesday we listen candidate areas for the poll. On tuesday you open the Curtis' poll, for 15 days. The vote close, JWocky, Skyboat and I meet to talk about the result and then we will cast our three votes. The result is the area. With the area on mind, we reopen the talk about Airports.

Fine for me. As for your/JWocky's/SkyBoat's votes, feel free to send them to me via PM/e-mail or state them publicly, as you see fit. (I'll post them - anonymized - on Curtis' forum).

IAHM-COL wrote:So instead of pulling 2 polls, one for Fall and one for Spring, we put one big poll. Only 1 vote allowed per person. The winner and the runner up are both areas, and then we choose the best fall, and the best spring based on the results. That's kinda how we played on 2015 -- and I think it was a nice way to be unbiased.

Looks good.

I'm crossposting the poll proposals to Curtis' forum to get some feedback.

IAHM-COL

Postby IAHM-COL » Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:28 pm

sounds we are in the same board :D

1. I'm dying curious to know the areas.
2. We'll definitely open a talk of airports to serve once we know areas
3. Votes. I like full anonimity on our votes. That's why we'll be patient. We wait the Curtis' Poll to close. We open our three vote count here. We'll let you know a three vote count, but not who voted what.

Our disadvantage is we can't vote there
Our advantage is that we are the three last votes, and thus we'll know a lot in order to cast our vote.

Depending on how strong the leaders in the poll are, it kinda feel like Skyboat, J and I are an electoral College :lol: :o

R.M.S.

IAHM-COL

Postby IAHM-COL » Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:32 pm

By the way, I also retire my proposal of Texas and Hawaii

R.M.S.

IAHM-COL

Postby IAHM-COL » Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:36 pm

Candidate updated... (in the meantime... of course)

BTW,
I count 16 options. I dont' know for sure, but I recall the Forum poll limits 15 alternatives.

R.M.S.

elgaton

Postby elgaton » Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:37 pm

Actually, reading your proposal again - might it make more sense to let everyone cast two votes, for two different airfields (one, ideally, for the Spring and another one for the Fall Festival) - but keeping a single poll? (Of course, you, JWocky and SkyBoat will have six votes in total - two ones each).

As for the options, you're right, the forum limits them to 15.

IAHM-COL

Postby IAHM-COL » Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:38 pm

2 votes each is fine for me "D
If you can control that.

do you know that by giving us 6 votes you are giving us an unbelievable amount of power ?
Well yes. I just thought of these. In the greater association we will have to give 3 votes maximum per place. So it works fine/

R.M.S.

IAHM-COL

Postby IAHM-COL » Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:40 pm

15 options.
If by the Monday, no one drops another option, I drop another of mine.
Still candidates can still be enrolled. but now we are overcapped :D

R.M.S.

Return to “The Festival”