Beagle Pup experiment

Everything in connection with developing aircraft for FlightGear
bomber

Re: Beagle Pup experiment

Postby bomber » Sat Nov 12, 2016 5:55 pm

Sorry you feel that way..... I can see the core developers keeping the frequency at 120hz then.
"If anyone ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me - it's all balls" - R J Mitchell

bomber

Postby bomber » Sat Nov 12, 2016 6:01 pm

In advanced tab.... Oh but of course that depends upon your launcher...

I use 50hz.

It's set to 120hz... because some fdm'ers couldn't be bothered to understand how gear works in jsbsim... so someone experimented with frequency raising it until it solved it.

Then core developers made this standard. ...

Why use more processing cycles per second than is needed.... ?
"If anyone ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me - it's all balls" - R J Mitchell

IAHM-COL

Postby IAHM-COL » Sat Nov 12, 2016 6:02 pm

ok.
No feelings. Just blatant ignorance on my side. So yes. Freq. FG Default Freq 120hz, then

Launcher?
I use a home-made cooked launcher in bash script.

:)
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/IAHM-COL/gpg-pubkey/master/pubkey.asc

R.M.S.
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it?

IAHM-COL

Postby IAHM-COL » Sat Nov 12, 2016 6:03 pm

is lower frequency better? how does it change the FDM behavior? am I expected a different flying experience with lower freq (like 50) as oppose to FG default (120?)

R.M.S.
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it?

IAHM-COL

Postby IAHM-COL » Sat Nov 12, 2016 6:08 pm

Test #2 result

Bomber. My comments (I guess this will be useless for you)

1. No nasal. it mean no livery selection for me.
But
2. More importantly. It seems this also killed the Autopilot. Right?
So I am bound to my stick :angerface:

3. The ground behavior is rather unacceptable
I cannot really taxi this thing using the tiller management (with the rudder axis) I will go nowhere but some shy left turninsh given by prop-wash
differential brake can be used ,but the brake is hyper sensitive so one have to tap-release-tap-release-tap release thousand times to get it to go or turn as wished.
Also, as you begin the take off roll, the tiller (rudder axis) will do nothing to keep me in Rwy, so the brake tapping dance is not over until the plane is literally off the ground. (or one is bound to crash in the runway skirts)

Really, it totally remind me of taxing a taildragger, which this aircraft IS NOT.

4. In the air

FINALLY, here I could experience the beauty of your FDM. As I use throttle and wing surfaces (elevator/rudder) in the air the aircraft is tame, kind, responsive. It flies great, I can really almost go accrobatic on it. I can roll., do recovers, stall and recover. I dont even care the ground is just 100 ft of me, I have so much of control that I can go Krazy.

In the air your FDM is a beauty.

But again, I am not going to Providence stuck to the stick, and I couldnt engage the AP... at all.

R.M.S.

bomber

Postby bomber » Sat Nov 12, 2016 6:37 pm

3) I don't understand. ..... I'll have to do some experimenting with frequency.

Don't worry about the AP it's an easy fix as there's no tunning required.

Can I say that reading people's comments you're almost asking yourself are they flying the right plane..

I'm sure Vincent must feel like this as well.

IAHM-COL

Postby IAHM-COL » Sat Nov 12, 2016 6:56 pm

No.
I do understand your logic.

You want nothing to get in the way of the FDM. So you can really tune it properly.
If some nasal subroutine messes in how this aircraft flies, then all tuning is an exercise in futility.

It makes immediate sense to me.
The AP must not be the "saved by the bell" of a wrong FDM. But on the contrary, the AP comes to be engaged when the FDM is all in a very clean state, so you are not like "fitting" the AP thousand times to all wrong intermediate FDM situations.

So getting AP and nasal out of the way for AP testing / modifying / tuning makes in my mind some immediate sense

About frequency,. You are asking too much out of me, your regular FG folk. If your FDM can't play well on defaults for some reason, then <<we've got mail>>.
(as in you will see rain-showers of bugs that arent bugs but all related to most users going default with their frequencies)

I dont understand why the frequency will mess the taxiing and ground behavior this bad.
But that's why you are an FDM expert. and I am not.

Richard (Harrison).... we'll he is a Licensing issues expert, apparently, and just like his best friend (the Shuttle guy) he seems to be good at least at finding loopholes in the free software movement licenses.

R.M.S.

IAHM-COL

Postby IAHM-COL » Sat Nov 12, 2016 8:05 pm

@bomber

test #3 (or; where does this plane go if I just let it go)

are the trims also disabled?
no matter what I do to them, the plane will not establish a firm controlled flight just by trim.
I need to keep pushing the stick down to prevent a head up attitude so stubborn that ends invariably in stall.
I need to keep correcting the ailerons to prevent the aircraft to enter on an spin roll.

so, it feels like not only the AP is out of order, but the trims are totally, too.
Which make the plane unflyable as such.

(or is there something I am doing wrong)

Note 2: I added
--model-hz=50 to my launching script

I dont see this causing any noticeably difference. Taxiing is still a practice from hell. Flying still is good, if you keep using the stick to counter the natural tendencies of the FDM at the moment (pitch up to stall and roll spin out of axis)

R.M.S.

bomber

Postby bomber » Sat Nov 12, 2016 8:29 pm

OK..... I'm confused, it so doesn't sound like my plane.

sanhozay

Postby sanhozay » Sat Nov 12, 2016 8:53 pm

I only managed a quick test but I didn't have aileron trim either. I looked in the appropriate .xml file and it was just aileron IIRC. I think it has elevator trim only.

Return to “Aircraft Development”