Beagle Pup experiment

Everything in connection with developing aircraft for FlightGear
bomber

Re: Beagle Pup experiment

Postby bomber » Mon Nov 14, 2016 4:11 pm

Don't worry about the noob stuff... piston engines planes are a law untoo themselves and with people having more jet engine experience where this doesn't happen it's not surprising they are experiencing things for the first time..

That said....

If you're flying the DRI and it's not ripping your wrist off, by that I mean to fly level your joystick is cranked over 45degs..... then the engine/prop combination is wrong... because the DRI makes this plane look rock solid stable.

Simon
"If anyone ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me - it's all balls" - R J Mitchell

sanhozay

Postby sanhozay » Mon Nov 14, 2016 4:14 pm

I haven't finished testing the Bomber FDM but some very preliminary comments:

1. I also have problems with the taxi. You have max_steer at 2 degrees, which is the problem I think. I have the specification somewhere and can't find it now and didn't use it. I went for max steer of 12.5 degrees after some experimentation. Any higher is just difficult to control in Flightgear.

2. Gear is much more springy than mine. I don't know which is correct but yours feels really, really springy -- like the shocks have gone. ;) Even a light tap on the brakes induces a springy nodding motion.

3. In flight it's nice and smooth but still responsive and plausibly mild aerobatic.

There is some weird springiness on the elevator if I am too heavy handed with it. If I pull back too sharply on the stick, the nose goes up but then it springs back down and bounces.

4. Performance is certainly closer to what I'd expect but it does get off the ground very easily on my 830m test runway, maybe half way down. As with Richard's FDM, there seems to be too much power at idle throttle -- it races away when the parking brake goes off.

5. I think flaps need looking at but I haven't explored these fully.

It's good work. I need to test some more.

bomber

Postby bomber » Mon Nov 14, 2016 4:16 pm

2. Is the elevator trim also a dream of FG pilots that RL dog-fliers dont enjoy?

Pilot controlled elevator trim is a standard on all planes in real life..... unless it's WWI in which case yes it's a dream.
"If anyone ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me - it's all balls" - R J Mitchell

sanhozay

Postby sanhozay » Mon Nov 14, 2016 4:18 pm

IAHM-COL wrote:Question #2/ Elevator trims?

Bomber's FDM has elevator trim, as does the real thing.

The trim wheel is the grey wheel on the pedestal, just behind the white plastic throttle handle.

IAHM-COL

Postby IAHM-COL » Mon Nov 14, 2016 4:22 pm

does it work? can I get the elevator trim now with T4T-bittingDog of bomber's?

I know where it is in the cockpit on Seniors model :D but I seem unable to get it to behave

Orca IH-COL back to cockpit, be right back.
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/IAHM-COL/gpg-pubkey/master/pubkey.asc

R.M.S.
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it?

IAHM-COL

Postby IAHM-COL » Mon Nov 14, 2016 4:24 pm

sanhozay wrote:I haven't finished testing the Bomber FDM but some very preliminary comments:

It's good work.

IKR!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :P :P

R.M.S.
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it?

IAHM-COL

Postby IAHM-COL » Mon Nov 14, 2016 4:28 pm

I agree with R.Seniors.
Bomber's brake gives some real spring jumping behavior.

I tap it really much lightly (b) to reduce the nausea inducing jump

Taxing? negative bombers. Its too shallow for real turns, unless I want to use all the state of New Jersey to line up my runway in JFK.

JWocky gave me a hint. To push the stick way hard down (as to fully deflect the ailerons) to improve taxi behavior.
It does the trick (some little bit better)... but definitely I would not call that a controllable taxiing yet.

R.M.S.

bomber

Postby bomber » Mon Nov 14, 2016 4:32 pm

sanhozay wrote:I haven't finished testing the Bomber FDM but some very preliminary comments:

1. I also have problems with the taxi. You have max_steer at 2 degrees, which is the problem I think. I have the specification somewhere and can't find it now and didn't use it. I went for max steer of 12.5 degrees after some experimentation. Any higher is just difficult to control in Flightgear.

2. Gear is much more springy than mine. I don't know which is correct but yours feels really, really springy -- like the shocks have gone. ;) Even a light tap on the brakes induces a springy nodding motion.

Ok I can look at the steering angle and toughen up the front suspension...

Which I agree is springy....

sanhozay wrote:3. In flight it's nice and smooth but still responsive and plausibly mild aerobatic.

There is some weird springiness on the elevator if I am too heavy handed with it. If I pull back too sharply on the stick, the nose goes up but then it springs back down and bounces.

I think what you're doing by being heavy handed is taking the elevators out of the wing downwash and exposing it to free stream air.

So I'd say that's a correct observation and something you wont see on other flight models.

sanhozay wrote:4. Performance is certainly closer to what I'd expect but it does get off the ground very easily on my 830m test runway, maybe half way down. As with Richard's FDM, there seems to be too much power at idle throttle -- it races away when the parking brake goes off.

At idle the prop give 75lbs of thrust... and it races away to 30kts by the end of the runway.

sanhozay wrote:5. I think flaps need looking at but I haven't explored these fully.

Flaps I think is going to be contentious... most people want 'extra' lift from them, when in fact it's all about changing the AoA that this max lift is given at and the drag implications of this changed AoA.

I don't think many people will have seen it modelled correctly in an FDM.

sanhozay wrote:It's good work. I need to test some more.

Thanks to everyone for the work you're putting in.

bomber

Postby bomber » Mon Nov 14, 2016 4:34 pm

IAHM-COL wrote:Taxing? negative bombers. Its too shallow for real turns, unless I want to use all the state of New Jersey to line up my runway in JFK.

I've just gone around KSFO as if it's a race track...

honest..

IAHM-COL

Postby IAHM-COL » Mon Nov 14, 2016 4:41 pm

@bomber
negative on elevator trim either

It does not matter where I put it, the plane will not have any response as in a trim.

Are you sure it is being properly set on the FDM?
(I use T4T-pup100.set)

R.M.S.

Return to “Aircraft Development”