Free Speech

Free speech and open source development
KL-666

Re: Free Speech

Postby KL-666 » Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:04 pm

I am not sure what that means. Are you finally going to do your homework?

Vincent

KB7

Postby KB7 » Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:05 pm

Maybe I have to accept the fact, that a decent human community is a thing of impossibility....

Sorry for using a quote slightly out of context. But it's Sunday and I'm a Lutheran and still full of good breakfast... so I'll put in a plug for the notion that people are, "simultaneous saint and sinner."
If you were looking to construct a decent human community that is more or less an anarchy, I'm afraid that I'd have to advise you're seeking a utopia. (And not the - by all accounts I've read - very tasty and pricey alcoholic beverage Sam Adams puts out.) It is doomed to failure for no other reason than there are dedicated communities of trolls who seek to intentionally troll communities that attempt such, anyway. I'm not talking about anyone who has posted here, but since such trolling communities positively exist the thought that one can put out a pearl of an idea and not have the swine enter in is an impossibility at this stage in human history.
Aside from the philosophical implication... Yes, you can pull the plug on this place. Then are we limited to just email to communicate with those of you who've been banned and/or voluntarily left the FG forums? Sad.
I'd rather see the notion of "unlimited free speech" abandoned and have some very clear and definable bright-line standards set up. A definitely paler second place would be that you drop free speech and make it your private forum and then you nuke whomever you like whenever you like (provoked or not, pushing the buttons that way does make it your private forum and I think you're trying to avoid that and should be commended for that.)
But none of us can give you the spirit to continue to maintain this environment, Jwocky. We can give you reasons, but only you can know why you created this place, what you want from it, and what you will and won't do (or take) to maintain it.
My only personal piece of advice would be to remember that in all things This Too Shall Pass. That and people are generally smart enough to read and make up their own minds what is and isn't true. If it is the truth then it is painful and should remain as such. If it is a lie then it doesn't matter at all and should remain to be seen as such. And spend way less time worrying about what people are saying and doing and get back to flying and developing. I think that advice applies to more than just you.... so now I'm going to do the same and get on with my day.
OH, and maybe everyone needs to walk away and take a few breaths before hitting 'submit.' Just MVVHO.
Hope that helped and didn't throw gas on the fire.
Primarily props / twins and small business/personal jets. IRL home airport KBMI, FG homes KLAS / KXTA.
Favorites: Cessna 421 "Golden Eagle," Twin Otter, BAe-125. A plane isn't my plane until I've modded the cockpit to the way I like it.

SkyBoat

Postby SkyBoat » Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:20 pm

I have to break my silence on this issue. Even though I have not been commenting, I have been following the conversation.

Bomber, your accusation that we the moderator/administrators are limiting your free speech is groundless. Groundless. Without merit. Not one word you have written has been edited or redacted. We have not removed a single post regardless of whether or not we agreed with your argument. Therefore, your comparison of Free Flight with Curtis' forum, or this other forum you mention (but do not cite), does not hold water.

The fact this thread has gone on for so long is based on the parties involved decisions to continue to make their points and counter-points. This "Free Speech" thread, is in point of fact, an example of just that.

Your philosophical disagreement with us is just that. But in no way has your free speech been constrained even in the midst of the heat of that disagreement.

I have not gotten into this fray until now partly because of other commitments and partly because, and I speak only for myself, your continuation of the argument, well past its point of relevance, is a waste of my time.

To put it bluntly, you are taking up a lot of time making all kinds of accusations against the moderator/administrators, all the while exercising your freedom of speech declaring we are limiting your free speech, but I'm just not that into you. Go grab your favorite plane and fly some place.

SkyBoat
SkyBoat

"Dream no small dream; it lacks magic. Dream large. Then make the dream real."
Donald Douglas

KL-666

Postby KL-666 » Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:21 pm

Hi KB7,

No gas on the fire at all. It is a sentiment we try to fight all the time. Personally i am from the time when internet was not regulated at all, before 2000. Even though the companies came in after that, and with them the lawyers, i still believe in a self regulating community being possible. It may be an in vain hope, as you argue, but i still have hope.

Kind regards, Vincent

SkyBoat

Postby SkyBoat » Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:30 pm

Hey KB7-- Nicely said.
SkyBoat

Donald Douglas

bomber

Postby bomber » Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:44 pm

Skyboat..... where did I say that ?
"If anyone ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me - it's all balls" - R J Mitchell

jwocky
Site Admin

Postby jwocky » Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:06 pm

@KB7: I can at least, at this time, answer one question and that is why I made this forum. Because back then, the banning and suppression of speech, opinion and specifically technical ideas over there left no other way. I wanted a place where people can "hang out" and tinker on planes, fly, ATC and build sceneries. I wanted a place that enabled the free exchange of ideas and from the start, I didn't limit that to technical ideas. Sometimes, things went in directions, I didn't see myself coming, for example the whole OPRF flag thing. I didn't see it because I am not much of a jet fighter pilot, but it is is exciting. I didn't see the big terrain development coming, but it is exciting. And yes, to me, the occasional illuminati joke or the whole big bang or creation thing was funny and exciting too.
See, the things I enjoy are the things every other user more or less enjoys too. I prefer the term "host" far before "owner". I am afraid, despite all the accusations made by Bomber or Lydiot, my hang to "own" this forum is kind of underdeveloped. I imagined it always more like a "come in, grab a coffee" kind of home. For someone with such a badass reputation, I can be sometimes a little naive, I guess because now, I have two guys, who think, they need to rip the sofa apart, spray graffiti on the walls and defecate in the corners. So ... two thing, I have to figure out. Shall I just kick their asses out to the fresh air, regardless what accusations they will spread then because they lie and libel and slander anyway, whether I do that or not? Or shall I try to find out first, what is the style of those other guys who come in, grab a coffee, but never say a word? My current uncertainty is in part because we hear always only from the trolls. Never from all those hard tinkering and flying guys. But all of you have a voice here too. I would like to hear it occasionally, if that is not asked too much.
Free speech can never be achieved by dictatorial measures!

SkyBoat

Postby SkyBoat » Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:07 pm

Bomber.....Please be specific.
SkyBoat

Donald Douglas

KL-666

Postby KL-666 » Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:18 pm

Nice all that distraction. But can Bomber finally start doing his homework?

Kind regards, Vincent

bomber

Postby bomber » Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:19 pm

"Bomber, your accusation that we the moderator/administrators are limiting your free speech is groundless."
"If anyone ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me - it's all balls" - R J Mitchell

Return to “Free Speech”