As the poll for FG Festival Spring Festival 2016 comes close

May 5th and 6th, 2018
SkyBoat

Re: As the poll for FG Festival Spring Festival 2016 comes close

Postby SkyBoat » Sat Nov 14, 2015 8:05 am

That sounds fine to me. That way we have a nice clean voting process, free of even the hint of any irregularities. A wise course for the three of us to take.
SkyBoat

"Dream no small dream; it lacks magic. Dream large. Then make the dream real."
Donald Douglas

elgaton

Postby elgaton » Sat Nov 14, 2015 8:09 am

Agree - let's wait for the poll results. (There are valid reasons for holding the Fall edition in Europe as well as for holding it in another continent).

IAHM-COL

Postby IAHM-COL » Sat Nov 14, 2015 8:13 am

Just out of practice, I suggest JWocky, Skyboat and I weightour votes last _ as the poll closes on Curtis' Forum. Give this poll maybe a week? Maybe less? (your call)
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/IAHM-COL/gpg-pubkey/master/pubkey.asc

R.M.S.
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it?

IAHM-COL

Postby IAHM-COL » Sat Nov 14, 2015 8:19 am

elgaton wrote:Agree - let's wait for the poll results. (There are valid reasons for holding the Fall edition in Europe as well as for holding it in another continent).

Well .yes.
There are valid arguments on both sides. It's a hard call.

One can see that always Europe in Fall is somewhat Europe-centric. But that looses contact to the fact that the first option forces a non-european Spring Festival. OTOH, the second option allows for the Fall festival to be anywhere, as well as Spring: But if the community tends to be very Europe-centric, chances that both Spring and Fall Festivals end up being in Europe is not disregardable.

I wouldn't mind, personally, come back to Europe once a year in Fall, and hold the guarantee, that the Spring Festival will always bring variety.

If I were casting a vote, right now: I'll go with Europe in Fall, but make Spring occur otherwhere else every year. If feels to me, a nice balance between enjoying European sceneries, and bring worldwide variety, once a year.

R.M.S.
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it?

elgaton

Postby elgaton » Sat Nov 14, 2015 8:25 am

I think it would be better if you cast your votes immediately after the closing time - since the aggregated results are visible while the poll is open, you can use them to help you (as well as JWocky/SkyBoat) decide in the meantime.

(As for the decision of holding the Fall edition in Europe, I'm open to both options).

IAHM-COL

Postby IAHM-COL » Sat Nov 14, 2015 8:27 am

yes. I never say we will take a month deliberating. So worry not. We may take a day.

R.M.S.

IAHM-COL

Postby IAHM-COL » Sat Nov 14, 2015 8:33 am

As whether making the larger poll with all places --as we did before,--
or forcing Europe for Fall (new approach)

This is what I think

1. Lydiot trying to imply that we are manipulating the events from here is getting tones of sickness
2. It is my opinion that if we are to just keep tradition, we make the 15 options together poll. Everybody votes (two options). The Winner and Runner ups are the locations
See
http://forum.flightgear.org/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=24542

3. But if you find Europe needs to be Fall. Being, if someone thinks that is the way it has to go. I say that can't be decided but with 1) consensus (everyone in the same page) or 2) voting for that.

That;s all I am saying.
Restating: If we are doing it the same as before. All options (regardless of location) are indicated in a single poll. Winner and Runner up go for next year. We are basically ready to shoot the poll.

If, on the contrary, someone here thinks that Europe MUST be /FORCED to be the Fall festival. I think that calls for a first poll to decide that. It is probably not a bad idea thou. but I think a first poll is the sane way to decide such thing.

R.M.S.

simbambim

Postby simbambim » Sat Nov 14, 2015 1:39 pm

Here we go. And I thought everything was decided long ago and I was only relaying information from the first post. I'll quote it, because the first post is ever changing:

IAHM-COL wrote:For those uninformed, the Festival is a biannual event. It takes places on Spring and Fall. The fall Festival coincides with FSWeekend, and the Spring festival is distanced by about 6 months away.

The Spring Festival is held anywhere in the World (hopefully, except Europe), whereas the Fall festival is held in Europe.

On the other forum:
elgaton wrote:The Festival of FlightGear is a biannual "fly-in" event taking place in Spring and Fall:
  • the Spring edition is held in March in a region outside Europe;
  • the Fall edition is held in Europe and coincides with the FSWeekend "real world event" at Lelystad.

Now we need another poll. Great. Maybe then Omega can clarify the status of the Netherlands event so that we know whether it's worth clinging to Europe tooth and nail.

IAHM-COL wrote:One can see that always Europe in Fall is somewhat Europe-centric.

Flightgear MP is Europe-centric. Despite the default location being in the USA and probably half the community being from North America. And since it is, we might just as well take it into account.

jwocky
Site Admin

Postby jwocky » Sat Nov 14, 2015 6:08 pm

Well and on another "fair play" note, the rule that the Fall Festival is always in Europe needs also to be checked out whether we change the roles in some years and have Spring in Europe. Maybe it doesn't make too much of a difference to someone who was never in Paris, but just for reason of "authenticity", there are far more reasons to fly to France in Spring 8-) than in Fall.
Free speech can never be achieved by dictatorial measures!

J Maverick 16

Postby J Maverick 16 » Sun Nov 15, 2015 4:38 pm

In case of UK2016, what are FGUK guys expected to do?
Most of us (not me) don't like flying under ATC guidance and don't like doing ATC because we think that FG was built to fly and have fun, not to get bored in telling other people what to do.
Our weekly FlightNights are one of the oldest FG multiplayer events and are planned by ourselfs (usually in a week or less) mostly with our hangar planes and recorded on YouTube. Everyone can come but have to respect the plan and aircraft choices (99% of the Flightnights are military themed).
Another point is that EGOD - Llandbedr is our customized home where we do whatever we want from testing new hangar versions to air displays and having folks playing around annoying us or ATCs dictating us what to do isn't accepted by most of us.
So, if the Fall event will eventually take place in UK+Ireland, what will happen?
Regards, Mav
Last edited by J Maverick 16 on Sun Nov 15, 2015 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Breakin' the sound barrier every day!

Scenery designer, basic livery maker, aircraft developer (current project: F-16).
Using Thrustmaster FCS Flight Pack.
Follow me also on Instagram & Twitter @j_maverick16, Google+ and YouTube.

Return to “The Festival”