As the poll for FG Festival Spring Festival 2016 comes close

May 5th and 6th, 2018
IAHM-COL

Re: As the poll for FG Festival Spring Festival 2016 comes close

Postby IAHM-COL » Sun Nov 15, 2015 5:38 pm

HI Maverick

If the poll concludes UK for a 2016 festival destination this is what happens:

1) the FGUK will know this fact for 6 or 12 months in advance, depending on whether UK gets assigned from Spring or Fall
2) between 2 to N airports will have ATC, and some pilots will be completing controlled flights within the UK territory. Usually the Festival is the largest multiplayer activity in FG in terms of participants. So It is likely a rather nice influx of pilots
3) other pilots will be participating in minigames around the event's area -- which means jet another influx of pilots in the UK flying around, usually low and fast, or acrobatically.
4) It will be fun

For the FGUK a decision will stand to be made

1) will you guys join the festival, having a festival-related FGUK weekend that day?
2) will you guys approach or avoid announced towers?
3) will you guys preffer all toghether have an "abroad-weekend" that weekend? Like when you go to USA, Vietnam, NorthAfrica, Other Europe Territories.

Either of these 3 alternatives are perfecly viable and acceptable. If you guys choose 2nd, you aren't forced to be controlled, but it would be kind to announce presence of the miilitary fleet to the controllers, so he/she/they can keep controlled traffic at a safe distance

All together the situation is simple. And it does not call to concern, in my view.

IH-COL
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/IAHM-COL/gpg-pubkey/master/pubkey.asc

R.M.S.
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it?

jwocky
Site Admin

Postby jwocky » Sun Nov 15, 2015 7:00 pm

Well, my idea would be, an ATC gives you take-off inf and instructions and brings you a few miles out of the dense traffic and sendy you on the way for wherever is for example a dog fight event planned. Or he tells you where he saw the tanker you're looking for on his radar. And that's it. So you play nice near to the airport, he lets you in peace a little away from the airport. But then, that's just my idea.
Free speech can never be achieved by dictatorial measures!

J Maverick 16

Postby J Maverick 16 » Sun Nov 15, 2015 9:01 pm

Probably you don't know enough about FGUK FlightNights. Being military themed doesn't mean we dogfight or something, simply that we use fighters or helis to go from A to B with some half-way refueling points for example.
Cheers, Mav
Breakin' the sound barrier every day!

Scenery designer, basic livery maker, aircraft developer (current project: F-16).
Using Thrustmaster FCS Flight Pack.
Follow me also on Instagram & Twitter @j_maverick16, Google+ and YouTube.

jwocky
Site Admin

Postby jwocky » Sun Nov 15, 2015 10:36 pm

Maverick, I am sure I don't know enough about UK Flight Nights, so that is not a maybe or probably but a certainty. On the other hand I am a too lousy jet fighter pilot as if you want me around for those actions. I a more a kind of long-haul bus driver type. However, for the Festival, I get into smaller planes than usual, even helicopters (that was my embarrassing moment in the last one), I fly something old, something new and whatever falls in my hands. It's one of the rare occasions I fly my Loreley test platform instead of just performing test programs and that thing is as near to a fighter jet I usually go. See, that is one of the things in those Festivals, you do things you don't do usually.
So the question is, would FGUK do something they don't usually do? For example air to air refuleing, acrobatic formations, dogfights was only an example, it can be anything else. See, with a Festival in the UK, there is not only room to promote FG but also to promote FGUK. We only have to find a way to make it work for everyone and that doesn't sound too difficult to me.
Free speech can never be achieved by dictatorial measures!

simbambim

Postby simbambim » Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:23 pm

J Maverick 16 wrote:we think that FG was built to fly and have fun, not to get bored in telling other people what to do.

:shock:
This is not something you say to people organizing an ATC event!
J Maverick 16 wrote:having folks playing around annoying us or ATCs dictating us what to do isn't accepted by most of us.

This isn't very courteous either. Please remember that you don't own FG or UK. :?

IAHM-COL

Postby IAHM-COL » Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:23 pm

@elgaton

As promised, I dropped one of my candidates, and now the list is the final 15 candidates for the FG Festival 2016 poll
I randomized the order the list is presented. Here is the candidates for the poll, presented to all of you.

Elgaton, please initiate the poll in Curtis'
(Two votes per person. Vote can be changed until poll closes in 15 days. After Poll closes, JWocky, Skyboat, and IH-COL reserve the right to cast 2 votes each, and we will indicate the compounded vote in this forum)

Good luck to all the locations.

IH-COL

• US (South West Coast) 2016
  • Indonesia – Java 2016
  • Eastern China 2016
  • Italy 2016
  • Los Andes – South America 2016
  • Greece – Turkey 2016
  • Germany 2016
  • Japan 2016
  • Scandinavia 2016
  • South Africa 2016
  • United Kingdom – Ireland 2016
  • New Zealand 2016
  • Caribbean 2016
  • N. America (North West Coast) 2016
  • N. America (East Coast) 2016

R.M.S.
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it?

KL-666

Postby KL-666 » Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:40 pm

This list confuses me a bit. I understood that there are 2 events. It is probably logical to do them both in one vote. But at least i would expect two lists. One for the Europe event and one for the elsewhere event. Anyway, just a remark, you must know what you are doing.

Kind regards, Vincent

IAHM-COL

Postby IAHM-COL » Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:47 pm

yes. KL666.

The point is that nothing enforces an European Festival, really.
Example, the winners could be Japan and Los Andes. There wouldn't be an European Festival.

Also, nothing prevents two European Festivals, really
Example, the winners could be Scandinavia and Italy. There wouldn't be a non-European Festival in that situation.

If there is an European Festival and a non-European Festival. Example, Being China and Germany, then the odds are all in favor for the Fall festival to be made in the European location.

This follows the exact same method and reasoning used on 2015.
http://forum.flightgear.org/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=24542

The poll result, or in other terms, the whole community, decides for what's going to be happening.

Your suggestion implies splitting the European and Non-European poll, guaranteeing that both an European and a non-European location is chosen. And that the European location occurs in Fall. That is a situation that was talked about last week, but Lydiot did not agree on the idea, so an absolute consensus could not be reached. In such situation, we opt for redo- of what happened in 2015.

R.M.S.

Warty

Postby Warty » Mon Nov 16, 2015 7:50 pm

simbambim wrote: :shock:
This is not something you say to people organizing an ATC event!

Well, there we have the admission! It's not an FG event, it's not an MP event . . . it is an ATC event !

simbambim wrote:This isn't very courteous either. Please remember that you don't own FG or UK. :?

It was a statement of fact. If your sensibilities are so easily offended then maybe you should stay away from facts :)

As for ownership, I doubt that FGUK would organise an event (especially over a whole weekend) in an established ATC zone such as EDDF. If FGUK can respect their wishes to operate under ATC control there, then perhaps ATC-types should respect the wishes of FGUK to operate as a long-established ATC-free zone around EGOD. Perhaps a little mutual respect might help here, rather than suggesting that control-freaks get to to decide who owns what.

IAHM-COL

Postby IAHM-COL » Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:01 pm

heheh
This UK thing gets tones of hilarious now.

As a matter of facts,

1) I am considering voting for UK-Ireland, but I can't know about this until the poll closes in Curtis' Forum.
2) The festival is not an ATC event. But a large part of its organization and activities involves controlled ATC environment
3) FGUK is not a point of concern for me in terms of not holding this in UK.
4) If on the polls UK wins. We'll be there. FGUK will be planning what to do around the fact. They are invited to participate, but not compelled to.
5) If on the polls UK wins. FGUK will know this at least 6 months in advance. More likely 1 year in advance. Plenty of time to plan around the coming fact.

As a matter of opinion

1) FGUK has nothing to fear with the festival being held on UK. Except that lots of pilots will potentially show up in the scenery they commonly use. [No building will suffer damages due to inexperienced pilots accidentally failing to land on Rwy, nor the grass will suffer damage for improper TARMAC-restricted taxiing] ;)
2) FGUK does not own UK scenery, as to block, ban, veto or disallow organizing an UK festival

R.M.S.

Return to “The Festival”