KC-137R family project

Everything in connection with developing aircraft for FlightGear
J Maverick 16

Re: KC-137R ATAARS project, need some help.

Postby J Maverick 16 » Sat Apr 02, 2016 1:17 pm

KIWI34 wrote:we should then create an arrivals board :)

For the before-the-Festival relocation flights?
Greetings, Mav
Breakin' the sound barrier every day!

Scenery designer, basic livery maker, aircraft developer (current project: F-16).
Using Thrustmaster FCS Flight Pack.
Follow me also on Instagram & Twitter @j_maverick16, Google+ and YouTube.

J Maverick 16

Postby J Maverick 16 » Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:08 pm

I've been flight testing at Hawaii earlier and I found out the following things that should be improved:
- aircraft has the inclination to climb by itself by increasing the vertical speed, causing stall if you don't keep it steady or use autopilot.
- standard fuel quantity present when FG start it's too low so that should be increased for 13300 ca. to 18000 at least.
- maybe we should also retake a look to the effective fuel consumption of these new engines.
- the main artificial horizon in the display isn't so much visible and I think it should be resized.
- aileron and rudder (especially aileron) are not so much immediate in turnings so I'd suggest to make them more reactive.
- there ain't a good heading indicator (I mean, in numbers) or at least I can't see it due to the yoke. We should have a look at that.
- pushback needs to be changed form "Goldhofert" to Military.xml since this is a military aircraft.
- airspeed indicator becomes invisible at night so it should be fixed in order to see that while flying overnight.

I'd add to the to-do list:
- modern transponder technology.
- TCAS instead of current radar (as said before).
- modern radio comms system to be placed maybe somewhere else than before proposed (I'd say where the current AP commands are placed) and it should include both frequency and volume (currently that is placed "under" the AP controls. Also the TACAN (as this is a military aircraft) should be placed in the same place.
- as we said, add an HUD to both pilot and co-pilot.
- place a fuel quantity instrument in the main cockpit (maybe where's that black space under the little AI).

Regards, Mav
Last edited by J Maverick 16 on Sun Apr 03, 2016 1:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Scenery designer, basic livery maker, aircraft developer (current project: F-16).

Octal450

Postby Octal450 » Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:27 pm

J Maverick 16 wrote:I'll make my first test flight of the new KC version in a few minutes.
Will post here a feedback on it as soon as I land.
Regards, Mav

Roger, be advised -- Build 56 is not on Git yet, I will push it at Milestone 3

J Maverick 16

Postby J Maverick 16 » Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:34 pm

I know it ain't on GitHub yet, and I don't want it there till we make some more major updates to it ;) .
Cheers, Mav

PS: Have a good USATour!

J Maverick 16

Postby J Maverick 16 » Sun Apr 03, 2016 5:05 pm

I've modified the above issues post.
BTW, has the KC-137R-RT the possibility to be refueled by another tanker?
Old version had deployed a sort of refueling hatch above the cockpit, has the current version got it?
Regards, Mav

J Maverick 16

Postby J Maverick 16 » Sun Apr 03, 2016 5:40 pm

Do we have the same problem?

http://opredflag.shivtr.com/forum_threa ... t_12235363

Regards, Mav

Octal450

Postby Octal450 » Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:40 pm

J Maverick 16 wrote:Do we have the same problem?

http://opredflag.shivtr.com/forum_threa ... t_12235363

Regards, Mav

Perhaps, or someone in FGMEMBERS (my copy is based on the FGMEMBERS copy) fixed it, I'll have alook. Did you find the tablet?

J Maverick 16

Postby J Maverick 16 » Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:41 pm

it0uchpods wrote:Did you find the tablet?

I searched on both forum and wiki, no sign of it. I've opened a thread on the main forum asking if someone knows about it but nothing for now.
If I can't find it I think we can let the book as it it now just replacing textures.

BTW, did you make the NAV display work at the end?

Could you also make update me on the things you have added, fixed, done about what I've wrote on the previous posts?
Thanks.
Greetings, Mav

Octal450

Postby Octal450 » Mon Apr 04, 2016 2:09 pm

Hello JMav,

In terms of the RT refueling: I took it directly from the one you provided, so the models should be the same. I will test it today.

J Maverick 16 wrote:- aircraft has the inclination to climb by itself by increasing the vertical speed, causing stall if you don't keep it steady or use autopilot.

This is normal and realistic. You must trim the plane using either the 1 and 7 keys, or joystick trim controls, or the trim wheels in the throttles.

J Maverick 16 wrote:- standard fuel quantity present when FG start it's too low so that should be increased for 13300 ca. to 18000 at least.

Yes, I am in the process of fixing the entire fuel system, as it is not right. The tanks inside for refueling the fighters don't even exist right now!

J Maverick 16 wrote:- maybe we should also retake a look to the effective fuel consumption of these new engines.

Will be done.

J Maverick 16 wrote:- the main artificial horizon in the display isn't so much visible and I think it should be resized.

The lines will be adjusted as you suggested, but I think the rest is perfectly fine.

J Maverick 16 wrote:- aileron and rudder (especially aileron) are not so much immediate in turnings so I'd suggest to make them more reactive.

Are you proposing we add FlyByWire? This is real JSB numbers of the aircraft, and is quite realistic. The real plane flies the same way.

J Maverick 16 wrote:- there ain't a good heading indicator (I mean, in numbers) or at least I can't see it due to the yoke. We should have a look at that.

OK, I can add that today.

J Maverick 16 wrote:- pushback needs to be changed form "Goldhofert" to Military.xml since this is a military aircraft.

Will fix today.

J Maverick 16 wrote:- airspeed indicator becomes invisible at night so it should be fixed in order to see that while flying overnight.

Fixed yesterday, just not on GIT yet.

J Maverick 16 wrote:I'd add to the to-do list:
- modern transponder technology.
- TCAS instead of current radar (as said before).
- modern radio comms system to be placed maybe somewhere else than before proposed (I'd say where the current AP commands are placed) and it should include both frequency and volume (currently that is placed "under" the AP controls. Also the TACAN (as this is a military aircraft) should be placed in the same place.

Entire radio panel will eventually be redone.

J Maverick 16 wrote:- as we said, add an HUD to both pilot and co-pilot.

Can do.

J Maverick 16 wrote:- place a fuel quantity instrument in the main cockpit (maybe where's that black space under the little AI).

Already did this :)

J Maverick 16 wrote:BTW, did you make the NAV display work at the end?

Nope, but all Nasal errors have been fixed, and the black poweroff animation works correctly. Now I just need to get the Canvas part added.

Hope I answered all your questions.

Regards

josh
Last edited by Octal450 on Sun Nov 05, 2023 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

J Maverick 16

Postby J Maverick 16 » Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:02 pm

Yes you've answered, thanks a lot.

We still need to remove or at least place the "Rolex" clock on top of the cockpit somewhere else and make that magnetic compass which pops down near the "Rolex" clock fixed so you don't need to pull it down every time, and maybe also improve it.

I've redone the OH panel, taking in consideration the "engines fire" levers. Will send them as soon as possible.
Regards, Mav

Return to “Aircraft Development”