United Kingdom + Ireland: Fall 2016 [November 5th and 6th]

May 5th and 6th, 2018
sanhozay

Re: United Kingdom + Ireland: Fall 2016 [November 5th and 6th]

Postby sanhozay » Sun May 15, 2016 6:46 pm

J Maverick 16 wrote:And then, avoid to send messages like "Welcome to ICAO area - please advice ATC of your intentions via MPChat or whatever" to every aircraft that simply pops in the 100NM area if it is clearly a military fighter, tanker, heli, etc.

I think this is a good idea generally. Surely it's up to the pilot to contact ATC, not the other way around? I've never completely understood why this non-standard phraseology is built into OpenRadar.

jwocky
Site Admin

Postby jwocky » Sun May 15, 2016 6:50 pm

On another unrelated question: Elgaton wrote about GND controllers. Now as far as I understand it, and correct me if I am wrong, GND brings the planes from the terminals to the runways respectively vice versa and makes sure, they don't crash into each other on the way? So, are there ATC procedure for that too, do you need groundnet with OpenRadar, or how does that work?
I think, maybe GND is an opportunity for those not so fit in ATCing to find an entry point.
Free speech can never be achieved by dictatorial measures!

IAHM-COL

Postby IAHM-COL » Sun May 15, 2016 6:55 pm

sanhozay wrote:
J Maverick 16 wrote:And then, avoid to send messages like "Welcome to ICAO area - please advice ATC of your intentions via MPChat or whatever" to every aircraft that simply pops in the 100NM area if it is clearly a military fighter, tanker, heli, etc.

I think this is a good idea generally. Surely it's up to the pilot to contact ATC, not the other way around? I've never completely understood why this non-standard phraseology is built into OpenRadar.

+1
but

(zero)

The problem I see is that usually the FG pilot is unsure if he is entering a given airspace or not. And the 100 nm radius is all wrong conceptually.
So I find it that a friendly queue from part of the atc is a good establish contact way. I use it like this

Code: Select all

(EGPH)IH-COL ATC: Golf Hotel Oscar Zulu, you are entering my airspace. Please state your intentions. Thanks.

The pilot realize now he is within the airspace boundary. (vertically and lateraly), and from there he may respond

G-SHOZ: Edinburgh, Thanks. Oscar Zulu inbound Edinburg via STIRA descending at 12000, 35 nm NorthEast
EGPH: Received. Open Radar monitoring active. Expect instructions

From there on we are communicated and I got back (attempt to go back) to phraseology

If a pilot says

G-SHOZ: Thanks. Uncontrolled
EGPH: Received. Continue VFR, I request you maintain 5500 or below. Have a good day

I solve it like that. And it gives me good result.
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/IAHM-COL/gpg-pubkey/master/pubkey.asc

R.M.S.
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it?

oscar6662

Postby oscar6662 » Mon May 16, 2016 3:19 pm

My first curve for the Manchester airport. UOHOU! hehe I know it's not much but I started with (antelación).

[url]Image[/url]

IAHM-COL

Postby IAHM-COL » Mon May 16, 2016 6:09 pm

Hi All
The first post is updated with current information

http://www.thejabberwocky.net/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=241&p=3589#p3589

IH-COL

R.M.S.
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it?

Octal450

Postby Octal450 » Mon May 16, 2016 6:44 pm

Well we have a problem. Due to much issues and other things, I will not be able to be ATC at festival, this just came up now. :cry:

It is what it is unfortunately.

Regards,
j

IAHM-COL

Postby IAHM-COL » Mon May 16, 2016 6:46 pm

OK

R.M.S.

oscar6662

Postby oscar6662 » Mon May 16, 2016 6:49 pm

:(
[url]Image[/url]

elgaton

Postby elgaton » Mon May 16, 2016 10:13 pm

J Maverick 16 wrote:It's difficult to coordinate with people who just don't care about ATC... anyway, all we want at FGUK is stated here:
[snip]

Thanks! I'll mark the restricted area in OR.

sanhozay wrote:Surely it's up to the pilot to contact ATC, not the other way around? I've never completely understood why this non-standard phraseology is built into OpenRadar.

Yes, it's (theoretically) up to the pilot to contact ATC, but sometimes players are not aware of this rule and wait to be contacted by a controller first. Furthermore, there's the airspace issue IAHM-COL mentioned.

jwocky wrote:On another unrelated question: Elgaton wrote about GND controllers. Now as far as I understand it, and correct me if I am wrong, GND brings the planes from the terminals to the runways respectively vice versa and makes sure, they don't crash into each other on the way? So, are there ATC procedure for that too, do you need groundnet with OpenRadar, or how does that work?

The ground chart from the eAIP is usually enough (although it is preferable to convert WED taxiways to lines in the OpenRadar file - there's an old script by VaLeO on the main forum which does the trick). Also, the ground controller should clear the departing planes to their destinations, assigning the SIDs (in coordination with the tower); however, since we've always included departure and arrival procedures in the OR files, nothing else should be done for this purpose.

Ground networks are used only to provide parking positions to pilots (as well as taxi networks for AI planes, but they don't matter here, since they are usually disabled when FG is connected to the multiplayer network).
---
I'll update the thread on the main forum tomorrow morning.

IAHM-COL

Postby IAHM-COL » Mon May 16, 2016 10:23 pm

elgaton wrote:I'll update the thread on the main forum tomorrow morning.

Big thanks

R.M.S.

Return to “The Festival”