Easyjet plane nearly overruns runway at Belfast due to EFB error.

Whatever moves you, even it makes no sense ...
IAHM-COL

Re: Easyjet plane nearly overruns runway at Belfast due to EFB error.

Postby IAHM-COL » Wed May 18, 2016 3:24 am

jwocky wrote:Well and then we add, crappy programming makes crappy flight computers and we are in total harmony ;-)

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/IAHM-COL/gpg-pubkey/master/pubkey.asc

R.M.S.
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it?

HJ1an

Postby HJ1an » Thu May 19, 2016 1:48 am

jwocky wrote:Fourth, imaging, I am a pilot and there is this guy in the other seat and I steer and he steers against me ... duh, I sit left. I tell him one time to take his fucking fingers off the joystick. If he doesn't I break his nosy and pull again on the stick. When things get wild, there can be only one making the decisions. At -3000fpm, there is no time for democracy.

This is unquestionably training, with airbus elements. If the sidesticks correspond to each other, the commanding officer would immediately know that his/her counterpart is hijacking his/her controls and nose-breaking would happen sooner. Sooner enough to save the plane..? Don't know about that one.

And to add a general sidenote. The pilot#1, the one in command and with the biggest experience was taking a nap. So, yes, he maybe looks a little tired, but wouldn't it be a good idea to wake him up and ask him what he thinks BEFORE flying into a storm?

So, as stupid as the Scarebus computer was, the cockpit crew did add to it by some equally weird behaviour. And while flight hours are often counted as a measure for experience, I don't think 50000 hours on autopilots really count when it comes hard.

And that's the problem I have with most braining these things... they usually pair one super-senior pilot with another 'new to the plane' pilot. If experience matters, it usually just matters if they are in control (ie, not in toilet, for example, or having a heart attac). If something bad happens that can only be recovered by his/her experiences, while he/she's out of commission it really just doesn't matter anyway, does it?

And the 'weird behavior' thing just gets to me. Because we, or at least I, have what amounts to Negative 3 bazillion hours of pilot experience.. and we (I) know what to do in a Stall 101. It tells me there is much more than just bad/lack of training when those things happens. Either human, or computer. Of course, I'm not discounting lack of training.. as there's plenty of problems with that, but besides those problems.

Also, I'm reminded of a B737 incident in South Africa, where the Captain banked the plane to unrecovable limits because his horizontal indicator is out of whack. Imagine the scenario; in pitch black night , one HI is showing a bank, the other HI is showing more or less level; and it was the other HI that was giving problems previously.. sucks to be in THAT position

jwocky
Site Admin

Postby jwocky » Thu May 19, 2016 5:28 am

He has an ass, right?
Free speech can never be achieved by dictatorial measures!

SHM

Postby SHM » Thu May 19, 2016 6:05 am

Jwocky wrote:Fourth, imaging, I am a pilot and there is this guy in the other seat and I steer and he steers against me ... duh, I sit left. I tell him one time to take his fucking fingers off the joystick. If he doesn't I break his nosy and pull again on the stick. When things get wild, there can be only one making the decisions. At -3000fpm, there is no time for democracy

There is a sidestick priority button. :P
FG Pilot (2011-2018)
Prepar3d (2015 - 2023)
MSFS2020 (2020 - )

jwocky
Site Admin

Postby jwocky » Thu May 19, 2016 6:51 am

Breaking his nose is probably faster. Funny thing, people don't realize it, but you need about three seconds to find a button under night flight seconds but only 0.5 seconds to break someone's nose. No kidding!

SHM

Postby SHM » Thu May 19, 2016 6:55 am

I wouldn't wanna be the FO when you are the Captain. :lol:
FG Pilot (2011-2018)
Prepar3d (2015 - 2023)
MSFS2020 (2020 - )

jwocky
Site Admin

Postby jwocky » Thu May 19, 2016 7:08 am

Well, if he doesn't wake me up from my nap before he flies my plane in a storm ... he kind of deserves it.

Octal450

Postby Octal450 » Thu May 19, 2016 7:46 am

Let me point out the Airbus do not often use TOGA for takeoff, more often MAN FLEX or TO FLEX or MAN FLEX SRS is used. This position is the same where MCT is, but is only active when on the ground, in the air, it is MCT.

jwocky
Site Admin

Postby jwocky » Thu May 19, 2016 7:49 am

Well, AF447 was far beyond take-off when they crashed. Like two or three hour after take-off.

Octal450

Postby Octal450 » Thu May 19, 2016 7:53 am

@jwocky
TRUE, but that was I believe the fact that the FO pulled the nose back the whole time. And the other FO had no fucking clew! Because the sidesticks are not LINKED. I think they should be, or what about the Airbus protection thingie? That obviously did nothing.

Return to “Unrelated Nonsense”