Easyjet plane nearly overruns runway at Belfast due to EFB error.

Whatever moves you, even it makes no sense ...
jwocky
Site Admin

Re: Easyjet plane nearly overruns runway at Belfast due to EFB error.

Postby jwocky » Thu May 19, 2016 5:08 pm

Well, I feel the same about Boeing ...
Alas, my problem about Airbus is, that I understand something about computers, so my mistrust is not born from not knowing but from knowing of some basic principles.

Here is a not so funny thing: Do you remember three Mile Island and Chernobyl. Two nuclear reactors running out of control, back in the days. One because of too much trust in computers, the other because humans made mistakes. And where between those two extremes is the sweet spot? See, with every new step in technology, we have the same feeling "now everything is under control". But it rarely isn't. The people on the RMS Titanic thought already everything was under control, it wasn't. After the Titanic went down, they changed a few laws and thought, with the RMS Lusitania, everything was under control. It wasn't.
The basic problem seems to be, the more technology we use, the more we tend to rely blind on it. Training seems to be unnecessary, the computer handles it. The same as Captain Smith on the Titanic thought, the usual precautions wouldn't be necessary anymore because well, he was sitting on an unsinkable shitp, right?
Free speech can never be achieved by dictatorial measures!

Octal450

Postby Octal450 » Thu May 19, 2016 6:49 pm

@legoboyvdlp
Not really, It is not possible to enable SRS once it is switched off. FLX SRS mode sets the optimal takeoff thrust, and SRS is the mode to climb while the takeoff thrust is selected. Then the Altitude knob is either: Push for VNAV mode (DES/CLB) or Pulled for FLCH mode (OP DES/OP CLB). Airbus calls FLCH Open Descent/Open Climb. Then the thrust lever is put into the A/T posistion, and THR CLB or THR IDLE is displayed for FLCH modes, and SPEED/MACH for V/S or sometimes VNAV modes. It is not possible to enable SRS in the air.

Regards,

legoboyvdlp

Postby legoboyvdlp » Thu May 19, 2016 6:51 pm

FLX SRS is not a thrust lever setting. IDLE, CLIMB, FLX/MCT, and TOGA are.
~~Legoboyvdlp~~
Maiquetia / Venezuela Custom Scenery
Hallo! Ich bin Jonathan.
Hey!
Avatar created by InSapphoWeTrust CC BY-SA 2.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.p ... d=27409879

Octal450

Postby Octal450 » Thu May 19, 2016 7:45 pm

@legoboyvdlp YEs I know. FLX SRS is what the takeoff mode is called, including the thrust AND autopilot settings. While SRS is enabled, the aircraft will not ask you to slow the thrust from FLX to CL.

Return to “Unrelated Nonsense”