Those Dumb Democrats

Whatever moves you, even it makes no sense ...
Lydiot

Re: Those Dumb Democrats

Postby Lydiot » Wed Dec 09, 2015 4:59 pm

MIG29pilot wrote:Recipe for possibly the worst terror attack yet: Pickup truck + Large barrel of fertilizer + diesel + match == explosion capable of bringing buildings down. Ammonia fertilizer with diesel are EXTREMELY explosive.

Actually, the recipe for the worst one yet in the US was commercial airplanes. But be that as it may, your reply doesn't actually refute what I said. Just because you can combine things we commonly use for peaceful means doesn't mean that they are more efficient. What if the people using those means you mention above had had access to grenade launchers, anti-personnel mines, tanks, F-16s etc? Would those tools not have been far worse? Of course they would. And so again, there's a reason we draw the line somewhere, and you haven't explained what principle to use to draw the line where you think it should be drawn. I have.

MIG29pilot wrote:
Now, ask yourself: Why should we expect better from "normal" people when those who are "educated" and chosen to protect us so frequently end up killing people for no good reason? Again, I think your argument is lacking. I think it is nothing more than wishful thinking (and if I remember correctly statistics back this up).
I'm thinking more of Islamic terrorists than of lunatics. Take the Sydney siege--there could have been little doubt inside as to who was the bad guy.

Why are you thinking more about Islamic terrorists than "lunatics"? Clearly the reason that guy in the siege was easy to identify was that he was holding hostages using a weapon. That's a no-brainer. But the cops also killed a hostage as they stormed the place, further proving what I said: That even the educated end up causing casualties when exercising the law. Situations aren't always that clear.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

MIG29pilot
Location: New Hampshire, waiting for the blizzard...This is goodbye for when it comes

Postby MIG29pilot » Wed Dec 09, 2015 7:07 pm

Lydiot wrote:
MIG29pilot wrote:Recipe for possibly the worst terror attack yet: Pickup truck + Large barrel of fertilizer + diesel + match == explosion capable of bringing buildings down. Ammonia fertilizer with diesel are EXTREMELY explosive.

Actually, the recipe for the worst one yet in the US was commercial airplanes. But be that as it may, your reply doesn't actually refute what I said. Just because you can combine things we commonly use for peaceful means doesn't mean that they are more efficient. What if the people using those means you mention above had had access to grenade launchers, anti-personnel mines, tanks, F-16s etc? Would those tools not have been far worse? Of course they would. And so again, there's a reason we draw the line somewhere, and you haven't explained what principle to use to draw the line where you think it should be drawn. I have.

I'm not saying that guns are not better killers than improvised this and that. I'm saying that taking away guns won't solve the problem--these terrorists can kill in plenty of other ways.
MIG29pilot wrote:
Now, ask yourself: Why should we expect better from "normal" people when those who are "educated" and chosen to protect us so frequently end up killing people for no good reason? Again, I think your argument is lacking. I think it is nothing more than wishful thinking (and if I remember correctly statistics back this up).
I'm thinking more of Islamic terrorists than of lunatics. Take the Sydney siege--there could have been little doubt inside as to who was the bad guy.

Why are you thinking more about Islamic terrorists than "lunatics"? Clearly the reason that guy in the siege was easy to identify was that he was holding hostages using a weapon. That's a no-brainer. But the cops also killed a hostage as they stormed the place, further proving what I said: That even the educated end up causing casualties when exercising the law. Situations aren't always that clear.
[/quote]If the terrorists aren't stopped somehow a lot of other people will be killed anyway.
Thanks, Adam
Professions Splash screen making (commission me!)
Photos http://1drv.ms/1kpo0Lf Dare to mention X-Plane after seeing these
Blog http://fgadam.blogspot.com/
Google+https://plus.google.com/105269990760200962418/posts

legoboyvdlp

Postby legoboyvdlp » Wed Dec 09, 2015 7:24 pm

They could make a bomb with feaces. Fill a water balloon with it, and top it up with ammonia. Dash with petrol. Throw, then throw a match. Kaboom. Smelly explosion and flames.
~~Legoboyvdlp~~
Maiquetia / Venezuela Custom Scenery
Hallo! Ich bin Jonathan.
Hey!
Avatar created by InSapphoWeTrust CC BY-SA 2.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.p ... d=27409879

Lydiot

Postby Lydiot » Wed Dec 09, 2015 7:25 pm

MIG29pilot wrote:I'm not saying that guns are not better killers than improvised this and that. I'm saying that taking away guns won't solve the problem--these terrorists can kill in plenty of other ways.

Yes, I know that's what you're saying. But I keep telling you that there's a reason for why you - MIG - don't want some weapons to be as easily acquired as guns, and that reason is the exact same reason for why it makes sense to NOT compare gun violence to car "violence". You still haven't addressed that.

MIG29pilot wrote:If the terrorists aren't stopped somehow a lot of other people will be killed anyway.

Right, but that doesn't address the means with which we stop them.

IAHM-COL

Postby IAHM-COL » Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:20 pm

I don't think the title of this post leads to anything good:
Democrats aren't dumb. You really can't generalize that.
Republicans aren't dumb, either. You really can't generalize that.
There are dumb people[*], and they distributed among both parties.

I was born and raised outside of the United States of America, and I am a new "import". From my outsider perspective, I will tell you: There is something really asinine goin' on. A bipartisan political system that takes the world as black or white, with an utter disregard of the grayscales and the technicolor of the real world. The need to make every decision of the political life a problem of voting across political lines (the "you are with me or against me" attitude) that prevails in every government decision -- leaving the sane element of "thinking about it" outside of the problem. That is, in my opinion, beyond dumb.

In respect to gun control (the fashion topic in 'America')... oh man! What a delicate issue to just "vote" or "opine" across a black.white political line.

____Footnotes
[*] Just do any effort possible to assure you are not one of those.
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/IAHM-COL/gpg-pubkey/master/pubkey.asc

R.M.S.
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it?

Lydiot

Postby Lydiot » Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:53 pm

+1

jwocky
Site Admin

Postby jwocky » Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:59 pm

I admit, I am a little bit amused about this gun ban or no ban discussion. Did you guys ever look up police response times in various areas of the US? In some areas it can take hours, but that are extreme cases in rural areas. However, even in a bog city, if several things happen at the same time, response times are pretty long, sometimes half an hour. So if you have home invaders, calling 911 will, if the find out, be a pretty sure way to get hurt or killed. And not only you, most likely the whole family. Says the statistics.
However, here comes the funny part. A very liberal newspapaer in NY had nothing better to do than to publish lists of registered gun owners in an attempt to paint them as kind of reckless rednecks. They got a lot of interested readers and in the following two years not one of those gun owners was burglarized while the burglary rate for those not ton the list increased by more than ten percent in the same neighborhoods. Police was of course to late in all cases, people were killed and injured, a couple of dozen rape cases during home invasions added to the mix and most of those cases are now, almost three years later, still open. So, even if you are against guns, even if you don't want to won a gun, you definitively want in NY on the lists of registered gun owners published by newspapers in acts of felony (because actually, by law this is a non-public register so newspapers shouldn't have that information and if, they shouldn't publish it).
Here is another thought. You can only ban weapons bought legally. They may be traded and there are some loopholes that needs some treatment (a transfer form would probably sufficient to keep registration up for weapon fair trades). The real problem is, there are millions of illegal weapons already around. A whole black market. So career criminals will get their weapons. They give a damn about any law you can write. Adn we have open borders. With every container ship comes at least one container with drugs. No problem to get another container with guns on it and bring it in. The last modern weapons instead of six-wheels and standard automatics. By banning legal weapon dealer,s you give the business to smugglers. And since the prices will be increasing, the need to commit more crimes to stay adequately armed will cause especially bigger gangs to up drug trade as their main income source. So you get an increase in firepower and an increase in crime. Drive-by shootings will upgrade from old Mac10 or 11 to MP-6 and MP-6 or Mini-Uzis. Higher impact force, better cadence, more reliable and able to shoot through someone to kill the one behind him as well. Congratulations!
OTher illegal weapon users, namely the occasional nut job and lone wold terrorist can't afford rifles anymore. That doesn't mean, they will stop doing what they do, they will change to explosives, primitive C-weaponry and, since the smugglers are more and better, be finally able to get their hands on love packages for example from Syria. We talk Anthrax, Spanish Flu and other nice things, they got from the old Iraqi and Syrian depots. Well, someone bombed the way free for them, remember? And since we are currently unable to employ sophisticated enough counter measures against conventional attacks, we are also unable to do so against far more lethal attacks. And since all we can do is to race some police to the scene of an attack AFTER the attack happened, we will expose just more people to this kind of weaponry, so you don't want to enforce the world of criminals to build such transport routes by increasing the profits for them.
But then, the cynic in me says, let those gun banners have their will. Statistically, most of them live in places like New York, Los Angeles, Detroit, Chicago and so on. Big cities, or in other word primary target zones. If terrorists ever get a hand on A-, B-, or C-weaponry and be able to smuggle it in our country because someone enabled the build up of secure smuggling routes by profit increase, it will hit those places first. So ... actually it is the faction of gun banners who live their, the more conservative Midwest or parts of the South where you fidn more conservatives have no primary target zones. So, ethically, one could argue, those guys ahve a right to decide by themselves how they and their families want to die ...
Free speech can never be achieved by dictatorial measures!

legoboyvdlp

Postby legoboyvdlp » Thu Dec 10, 2015 1:26 am

With every container ship comes at least one container with drugs.

especially, if it is from Venezuela, sadly
~~Legoboyvdlp~~
Maiquetia / Venezuela Custom Scenery
Hallo! Ich bin Jonathan.
Hey!
Avatar created by InSapphoWeTrust CC BY-SA 2.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.p ... d=27409879

HJ1an

Postby HJ1an » Thu Dec 10, 2015 1:54 am

jwocky wrote:The problem is not the gun, the problem is the guy wielding it. This one obviously applied the old rule of observing, analysing, acting. While I am eprsonally a supporter of the 2nd Amendment (gun control has been proven as ineffective against terrorist attacks anyway) I also promote the idea that prior to handing a firearm to anybody at least a course how to handle it should be mandatory and this course should aside of how to fire it also include strategies like observe, analyse, act, maintenance and storage.

Yes, but I subscribe to the view that too much of anything is always a bad thing... I don't doubt that it takes a lot of training and responsibility to handle a gun; but there comes a time when you have too much of it, there's always one bad apple that spoils the whole basket. See driving for example; too many drivers on the road, even if they have to go through training, exams, and etc, there's always one person who would text/drink while driving and drive into that drain in front of my house. Or worse, into other people. I even think an increase in population in the world would lead to outcomes that would mostly be on the bad side.. And the problem is always people, not the tool itself. But if you have a VERY effective tool to kill or incapacitate handled by someone even remotely irresponsible, or worse, with evil intent, the outcome can always be at least 10x worse than the same situation but without the tool..

Having said that, in my view though, I think people have the right to arm themselves if they see fit or not; it's just that I would be more wary around in such situations.

jwocky
Site Admin

Postby jwocky » Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:03 pm

The problem is not only whether to ban guns or not, the problem is also a general with solving complex problems. Lets do a little thinking example:

Do me a favour, imagine a piece of package twain, about a foot long. Now, both ends of it look obvious the same and if you want to roll it up, you can do it from either end, it doesn't make a difference.
Now imagine a garden hose. On one end, you have the spray vent on the other a connector to a faucet or some other kind of water outlet. Since the ends are different, it makes a difference on which side you start to roll it up. If you start on the vent side, the vent is inside your coil and you are screwed next time, you want to use it. Or not? Because if you start on the connector side the connector is inside and you would need that one to connect the hose to a water outlet. So what to do? To solve this problem, there are those nifty hose coil cars for the garden which keep the connector inside, connected onto the axle and then to a connector on the little cart thing, thus you can connect the whole thing to the water outlet and still get the vent end of your hose, pull out as much hose as you want and all is good.

Now, what does that have to do with gun control (or any other problem)? Very simple, any not trivial but also not too complex problem is a string of smaller sub-problems and the order in which one tries to solves them matters for the overall result. However, real complex problems come seldom alone. Which means, they are part of a network of problems that influence each other and in which options to solve any of the given sub-problems have lan impact on the neighbouring network nodes. That is, when things get really iffy. However, to understand such networking problems gives us the opportunity to understand, whether an alleged "silver bullet" has side effects, whether can even work or whether we need to attack sub-problems in a different order. Or, in some cases, whether the sub-problem people scream about is really the main problem or whether it's maybe just a symptom for something else, another group of sub-problems not even noticed yet.

In my last post, I mentioned, that a ban of legal guns would cause an increase in prices and create a black market plus smugglers because the increased prices lift weapons in the range of goods worth to smuggle even it would be criminal. That's the dark side of economics 101. Now, some claim that gun bans would be the "silver bullet", but we can mathematically prove, it isn't. Only that math scares people more than guns do. Because if you split the problem in it's sub-nodes (I can't do it here so you have to do it at home on a piece of paper because I can't draw a network in this forum), you will find, you have in the core a demand and supply problem. Thus, if you want to reduce the number of guns in circulation, you have to eliminate the nodes that produce the demand and then, the supply side will solve itself because there is no profit in it anymore.
Since one of the main arguments of the pro-gun side is, they need weapons for self-protection, you have to take this argument seriously, because it is one of the attractors increasing demand. So why think people they need something to protect themselves? Because a big number of weapons is in the hands of dangerous people. Terrorists, career criminals, people like that. Means, you can't decrease the demand as long as people think, they need their arms but that leads to the black market argument. If you instead go first for those dangerous people, you have one of those attractors out of the game and afterwards, you can reduce the number of legal weapons because you have decreased the risk of a profitable black market.
Now, this was, because it has in a forum to be, very simplified. There are more nodes (for example, since public authorities are technically not able to keep their role as protector of an unarmed population, the trust is broken and the perceived need for weapons increased) and many of them have underlying network structure by themselves (for example lack of pre-emotive measures by police authorities, lack of problem detection, response times) which each having more nodes behind them (response time for example is a function of available resources, location of those resources and in some areas even the weather at a given time). And so it goes on and one. So, to return to the garden hose example, you have a whole net of garden hoses and have to find the points where you can start to coil the mess up. Mathematics has, for example in form of network analysis, game theory, attract-detractor-balance-models, and a lot more, already invented the tools, we would need, however, since those tools always come up with solutions, that appear neither as loud and colourful nor voter-convincing, there is never a political will to go that way. Nice smooth solutions never create media hype and there for no voter potential. So, if you want to lead this discussion here, you have a choice:

Option 1: You follow the hype, bubble buzzlines and promote ideology. That doesn't solve the problem but uses it as a voter trap, but it helps politicians you like for entirely different reasons (or you just followed the buzzlines without studying the problem, but then, you are kind fo out of the game yourself because obviously you are than oen of the guys in the voter trap, not a contributing factor)

Option 2: You analyse the underlying factors and come up with an order of nodes to attack inside of the restricting parameters (for example limited resources). That gives you a solution but you will need to make politicians follow this solution and because it is rather hard work than media hype, you will find the need to spice it up to make it attractive for politicians to be attracted to it. And since survival is the biggest of all attractors, we talk here about another grass roots movement, you have to fire up.

Everything outside of those two options will not work and it just some kind of hot air thing in which people regurgitate the same old buzzlines and solve nothing. We can of course ban automatic assault rifles because those two nutheads in San Bernadino used some of those, but first, when their neighbor bought them, they were still half automatic collector pieces, they were refurbished by the terrorists to function on full-auto again (thus, they wouldn't be even banned as the current drafts for gun ban are written), second, the male attakcer was involved alread almost two years ago in another plot that went unnoticed because it never came to the operational phase. Third, other attackers, for example the Boston Bombers, the Times Square Bomber, and the Underwear Bomber didn't even use that kind of weaponry, they went already the way to substitute bullets for explosives. So a gun ban will do nothing in that kind of cases, but the gun ban debate will draw attention away from the node-network that actually increased the probability of that kind of attack.
I can go on and on with examples, my desk and my databases are full of them. Ever heard of the Petit family? The Mongo-murders? Or, to bring up something especially exotic, the California-Astrology-Murders? After running those and some hundred more through the mill of analyzing, what do you get? Basically, that every perpetrator showed signs long before the gory and bloody deeds were committed. There have been a lot if warning sings beforehand, but nobody noticed them. So out problem is not gun banning, our problem is early detection. And that is a social thing.
Free speech can never be achieved by dictatorial measures!

Return to “Unrelated Nonsense”