USA TOUR Event | SAT DECEMBER 17TH 18:00 - 21:00 UTC

The USA Tour Archive. Event Concluded
LesterBoffo

Re: USA TOUR Event | SAT DECEMBER 17TH 18:00 - 21:00 UTC

Postby LesterBoffo » Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:53 pm

This thread took a divergent turn somewhere.

IAHM-COL

Postby IAHM-COL » Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:58 pm

its a fighter-craft spin :)
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/IAHM-COL/gpg-pubkey/master/pubkey.asc

R.M.S.
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it?

jwocky
Site Admin

Postby jwocky » Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:01 pm

Want to move a part of it into some kind of FG-participants-relationship-thread? I have not even an idea how to really name that, but "FG-participants-relationship-thread" sounds horrible.
Free speech can never be achieved by dictatorial measures!

LesterBoffo

Postby LesterBoffo » Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:07 pm

jwocky wrote:Want to move a part of it into some kind of FG-participants-relationship-thread? I have not even an idea how to really name that, but "FG-participants-relationship-thread" sounds horrible.

There's gotta be some sort of quasi-composite German noun with 20 syllables that can be spoofed out of that.

jwocky
Site Admin

Postby jwocky » Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:11 pm

flightgearplayerbeziehungsdiskusion?
Free speech can never be achieved by dictatorial measures!

LesterBoffo

Postby LesterBoffo » Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:14 pm

jwocky wrote:flightgearplayerbeziehungsdiskusion?

I was thinking more silly like Flightgearenpissenkavectenlagerfeurerenstrand.

SkyBoat

Postby SkyBoat » Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:48 pm

@JWocky-- Nice points. Provided some needed perspective.

@Lester--LOLOLOLOL!

But I think it would be good to create a new thread, no matter how many English words we'd have to smash together to describe it. :lol:
SkyBoat

"Dream no small dream; it lacks magic. Dream large. Then make the dream real."
Donald Douglas

Omega

Postby Omega » Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:32 pm

@SHM
I have quit VATSIM at this time, because it got to the point that it was too much for me to deal with.

The problem with the VATSIM pilot ratings is that as you mentioned, they are not compulsory, so there is a really small percentage of pilots that have obtained a rating. And that VATSIM itself, doesn't even provide the training. Instead they have third party organizations, such as VAs that do it. Also for most organizations, the training is really low quality.

Controller quality is really bad in North America, and I believe Australia also. Most European ACCs are doing better because they can operate more autonomously. This is because of the vast differences in their air traffic procedures and demographics.

Also be aware that as a pilot, without thorough understanding and experience of ATC, it is not easy to assess whether a controller is doing good or bad. I have seen bad controllers receive good feedback from pilots simply because the controller was being too friendly with pilots. But the pilots fail to notice that the controller fails to use standard phraseology on multiple occassions.

@Israel
Can you please delete that post about where I control? I'd rather not risk getting attacked by someone on the VATSIM side.

@Jwocky
For some controllers, there are advantages to talking a little faster than normal. It is for one, more efficient and it helps some controllers scan the targets better as they can quickly move their scan around without focusing on a single area for too long.
What matters the most is not how fast one speaks, but how clearly.
Also standard phraseology is far more important than you think. Phraseology is a tool that really helps non-native speakers. Once a pilot listens to the same or similar phrases over and over again, understanding instructions becomes almost automatic, no matter how fast they are spoken. There is no need to translate the instruction from English to the native language.

IAHM-COL

Postby IAHM-COL » Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:38 pm

@Israel
Can you please delete that post about where I control? I'd rather not risk getting attacked by someone on the VATSIM side.

IAHM-COL wrote:[edit]REDACTED[edit]
IH-COL
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/IAHM-COL/gpg-pubkey/master/pubkey.asc

R.M.S.
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it?

SkyBoat

Postby SkyBoat » Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:53 pm

@Omega-- It's good to see you again here on the Forum and I appreciate your sharing your personal experience with VATSIM--whether it was good or bad. For those of us who have never used it, it is important to get a varying set of perspectives on an issue such as this because of the impact it is having on us as the moment.

Your insight into ATC protocols is also appreciated and I consider you a valuable contributor for educating us on being better pilots in that regard.
SkyBoat

"Dream no small dream; it lacks magic. Dream large. Then make the dream real."
Donald Douglas

Return to “USA Tour”